Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a timeing light. I saw one that had a tach in it and thought it would be pretty nice to have. No tach in the car. This light is also adjustable. Is this all a good thing or is it better to stay simple. thanks. Jim5557.

·
Registered
37,230 Posts
The simple ones are the best ones. Get a timing tape for your balancer (cheap!) and you'll be able to do everything you can do with a dial back light, without the dumb things that can happen with them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Agree with Rick & CNC, most dialback lights go nuts with systems like MSD, a simple light with a timing tape can't be beat...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK then, a simple light with a timing tape it will be. any favorite brands. thanks for the help Jim 5557

7,082 Posts
My favorite is the Sears, I can get you the model number if you can't find it.
Rick, I would appreciate the model number if you have the time. Thanks Lloyd

·
Registered
483 Posts
Timing light? You do NOT even need one. Just crank the distributor against the the direction of rotation until you hear all kinds of funny noises and all the internal peices fall to the road when you drive - then back the distribiter up just a smidge and remember where that point is when you you put it all back together.

Just kidding. I like the simple ones too. Mine is so old I could not even tell you what brand it is - it's worn plumb off. I think it's a sears as thats where I bought most of my tools in the 70's.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Timing light? You do NOT even need one. Just crank the distributor against the the direction of rotation until you hear all kinds of funny noises and all the internal peices fall to the road when you drive - then back the distribiter up just a smidge and remember where that point is when you you put it all back together.

:sign0020: Like that Texas humor!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well except I'm a California transplant! (They ran me out for my humor).

But thanks neighbor. (I come right thru Noonday at least once a week during tax season).

7,082 Posts
Thanks Rick. JWN, that's good. :happy0030: Lloyd

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have a J.C.Penny light and dwell meter, must be 30 years or so, orginal box and a piece of chalk. Been thru a bunch of motors. Charles :wavey:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts