Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct timing for the 57 283 with the powerpack option.
The 57 manual only says to time the engine 4 degrees BTDC but in the back by the specs says the timing should be 10 degrees BTDC with the engine at 1000 rpm and with the vacuum advance unplugged. I have the engine timed at 8 degrees for now and it seems to run good there. Any ideas Jim

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Jim
I know the manual says 4 deg. btdc. However, that is so outdated by today's standards. With the new fuels etc. it is best timed at 11-13 btdc. I went thru this whole thing myself but I have converted to electronic ign. Yes, plug vacuum. However, if you have done away with points and went electronic ign. then the vacuum advance will have very little bearing on the operation.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The mechanical advance kicks in VERY early on these engines. Start by idling it down to no more than 400-450 rpm. At 1000 rpm on a Powerpack, the mechanical advance has already kicked in a fair amount.

4-8 degrees at 400 rpm with no vacuum is good. I have mine currently at 4, have considered pushing it up to 6.

The vacuum advance you use has a huge effect as well. The original one has more advance than is generally available off the shelf these days. You may need to advance the initial timing to compensate for this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.