Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last year I pulled the engine out to do some painting and we had to remove the distributor,so we got it back in and had a hard time getting it in the right spot,it was pinging and backfiring all over "im learning as I go" so got it right where it ran good,started good etc. So the rest of the summer I was putting it back together and take it out every once in a while and didnt really notice it but after it ran and got warm and you would shut it off the next time you started it it cranked real slow then fired up,,but it always ran fine after that.

Well I did some reading and went out and adjusted it and got it where it fires right up after its hot,,It Much Much better now! I took it on a test ride and all was fine but I think it lost a bit of power,It doesnt seem as punchy now?

I mean its not real noticeable,but before I go out and start guessing and twisting it around I figure it couldnt hurt to ask to see if someone could give me some tips.

The problem was that it was too far advanced and it had to be turned clockwise to make it start better,,so common sense is telling me to just turn it back a bit counter clockwise and go as far back as I can where it still starts good? I dont think it will gain any punch back by retarding it further,correct?

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
I'm sure you'll get a few different ideas but i suggest the following.to confirm and verify everything remove the #1 plug and after disabling the dist./coil ign. system crank the eng. to get # 1 cyl. at TDC on compression stroke.Then verify the pulley timing tab mark is at 0 and remove dist. cap to check rotor is pointing to #1 terminal.If all is okay,reconnect all,hook up timing light and set timing and advance to your preferred setting,approx. 8 degrees BTDC. Hope this helps,good luck.:anim_25:
Big Bob:flag4::bowtier:

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,457 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Engine timing was way advanced which provides faster acceleration but hard to start when hot. Faster acceleration but less power at top end.

Really need to use a timing light and establish a base line. After it is set to spec. you can rev the engine with timing light installed and check for advance.

This will tell you if distributor is functioning normally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts