Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 57 coupe with a 675hp 468ci big block. I am having issues with getting the timing correct. It is running a standard points distributor as I am awaiting a new electronic distributor. Due to the size of the cam there is very little vacuum going to the vacuum advance so I have blocked it off. The problem is, I don't seem to be able to advance the timing enough, as the vacuum advance module on the ditributor is hitting the intake manifold. How do I fix this problem..as I am getting backfiring through the carb on high acceleration.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Hi, I have a 57 coupe with a 675hp 468ci big block. I am having issues with getting the timing correct. It is running a standard points distributor as I am awaiting a new electronic distributor. Due to the size of the cam there is very little vacuum going to the vacuum advance so I have blocked it off. The problem is, I don't seem to be able to advance the timing enough, as the vacuum advance module on the ditributor is hitting the intake manifold. How do I fix this problem..as I am getting backfiring through the carb on high acceleration.
thanks.
kinda sounds like your cpl teeth off on tdc? Start over on dead timming, big blocks with lots of aftermarket camshafts like lots of timming, just watch out of detenion :eek:
dead time her on tdc<1> then drop dizzy [email protected] even go 10 ahead to start with, Ill bet she"ll like 18 initial
I have my 496 @ 18 degrees initial and total advance @ 36 and in at 2800 rpm.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
thanks.

I don't seem to be able to advance the timing enough, as the vacuum advance module on the ditributor is hitting the intake manifold. How do I fix this problem..as I am getting backfiring through the carb on high acceleration.
thanks
Pick the dist. up a turn it a tooth or two clock wise I would think you should be using port vacume instead of manifold vacume.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Be sure to do a plug check - it'll also pop out the carb if lean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts