Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about checking the timing on my 454 in my 55 Delray. I haven't had the car very long and wanted to check the timing just to see where it was set. With the timing light hooked up, the mark jumps around like it has a sloppy timing chain, but I don't have a chain, I have Pete Jackson gear drive.
The car runs great,low 13's @ 105. Never misses a beat. I'm beginning to think that I'm reading the multiple sparks from the MSD 6AL. I also have an MSD billet distributor with mechanical advance which I have checked over and find everything is clean and operates smoothly. If I'm reading the multiple signals from the MSD unit, how do I go about setting the timing?

Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gerry C.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i doubt this is your problem, but my jumpy timing mark was caused by a loosened distributor clamp.. tightened it down and it went away..

im sure youre doing it correctly, but the lead is attached to the number one wire correct? just gotta double check :tu .. let us know what you find

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Excessive end play in distributor shaft or worn gear on distributor or cam can also cause this... What condition is the gear drive in ? they can wear too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
timing issues

I'll check the clamp and if that's not loose, I'll pull the distributor and see what the gear looks like. According to the gentleman I bought the car from, the engine was rebuilt about 2000 miles before I bought it. He gave me all of the receipts(actually 20+ years worth) relating to the car and the rebuild. It appears that the cam and gear drive were new at the time of the rebuild. I am still in contact with the previous owner and talked to him about this. He was surprised to hear of the jumping timing mark.Whats confusing is how well the car runs. I'll get to the bottom of this and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Gerry C.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I forgot to mention if you're using a dial back timing light with a MSD ignition box it will drive you nutz trying to set the timing... There are only a few dial backs tested to work correctly with MSD...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
timing

Dave, I'm not familiar with the dial back light you mentioned. A friend brought his light over when we tried to check the timing. It had a dial of some kind but he didn't know much about it either. Since then I picked up a new light which does not have a dial, just a basic tool, but have yet to try it. Just got it. It is an induction signaled light. Due to all the fall chores needed to be done here in Wisconsin to get ready for winter I have'nt had time to check it out. I'm just about caught up and will get back to the car shortly. Meanwhile thanks for the ideas and help.

Gerry C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts