Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m lucky that my 56 150 has no rust issues, but I’m in the process of welding up a number of holes that were drilled in the floors. Example: A few of the holes are about 1/2” in diameter and were drilled for mounting bolts for lap belts. (I am putting in 3 point seat belts later and will drill new holes)

How would you weld up several 1/2” holes in floor sheet metal. Btw, my car is on a rotisserie and turned at a 90* angle, so access is easy.

I’m thinking about using small elevator bolts or something like that to help plug the hole when welding, then grinding off the excess.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If you have a MIG close the holes with weld or hold a #8 or #10 flat washer etc in place with a magnet & weld.

·
Registered
35,513 Posts
I've never seen a prepackaged kit of hole fill plugs like that, that's a great buy. Think how long it would take you to do this even if you had the punches, or to cut a few using snips.

I would get the 18 gauge plugs they offer, not the 14 gauge shown. Much closer to the thickness of what you'll be welding.

5/16" or smaller holes can be welded without a plug, just use a copper backing plate.

·
Registered
864 Posts
It would be better to use 18 gauge steel, easier and better end results. Or if you have scrap Vintage parts that you can cut pieces for plugs.

I prefer prefer to fab my plugs. I clamp a small piece of 18 gauge in the drill press and use a Hole Saw. Cut ID close but smaller than the hole ID being plugged. Use a Clearance Gap, If You fit the plug too tight, that can often result in metal expansion resulting in a high spot or buckle.

I Remove the Hole Saw pilot bit to cut plugs. This is a bit tricky, low speed, cutting oil and go slowly !! AS when drilling on a drill press, Keep You Hand Clear!! I find using a wood 2x6 inch backing block clamp to the drill press works well for me.

TIG & MIG Do Not like Magnetic Fields, as mentioned use a Non-Ferris metal blocking plate, Copper or Brass.

TIG & MIG, both work well for wleding plugs. It's easy with TIG welding to add to much Wire. Practice with scrap pieces usually helps me when I haven't welded for weeks or months, and particularly when moving from steel members to thin sheet metal.

There's also good Videos available. I look for professionals, Mr TIG is one.

Good Luck,

Michael..

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
I would get the 18 gauge plugs they offer, not the 14 gauge shown. Much closer to the thickness of what you'll be welding.

5/16" or smaller holes can be welded without a plug, just use a copper backing plate.
I prefer the plug fits snugly the welds shrink as they cool and this eliminates shrinkage dents

I use this for most holes even if I have a piece to put in the hole just makes for a much cleaner easier job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-Magnetic-Weld-Tool-With-Copper-Alloy-Pad-Aide-And-Speed-Up-Welding-Holes/333024144238?hash=item4d89c92b6e:g:DqwAAOSwdxFcQ03A

I use this on long seams
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-PLUG-WELD-TOOL-W-2-5-Long-Copper-Pad-Parallel-to-mag-base-VIM-MPWT2L/261233318279?hash=item3cd2b81987:g:c1IAAOxyYYlRwkld:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!93561!US!-1

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never seen a prepackaged kit of hole fill plugs like that, that's a great buy. Think how long it would take you to do this even if you had the punches, or to cut a few using snips.

I thought it was a great buy and agree about the 18 gauge, too.
:tu

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be better to use 18 gauge steel, easier and better end results. Or if you have scrap Vintage parts that you can cut pieces for plugs.

I prefer prefer to fab my plugs. I clamp a small piece of 18 gauge in the drill press and use a Hole Saw. Cut ID close but smaller than the hole ID being plugged. Use a Clearance Gap, If You fit the plug too tight, that can often result in metal expansion resulting in a high spot or buckle.

I Remove the Hole Saw pilot bit to cut plugs. This is a bit tricky, low speed, cutting oil and go slowly !! AS when drilling on a drill press, Keep You Hand Clear!! I find using a wood 2x6 inch backing block clamp to the drill press works well for me.

TIG & MIG Do Not like Magnetic Fields, as mentioned use a Non-Ferris metal blocking plate, Copper or Brass.

TIG & MIG, both work well for wleding plugs. It's easy with TIG welding to add to much Wire. Practice with scrap pieces usually helps me when I haven't welded for weeks or months, and particularly when moving from steel members to thin sheet metal.

There's also good Videos available. I look for professionals, Mr TIG is one.

Good Luck,

Michael..
Thanks. Great ideas!
I was thinking I could just open the holes up a tiny amount with a uni-bit to make a little room for expansion when welding.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool tools.

I do have a bit of difficulty getting to the backside of the floor because the doors and windows are still in place, but I have great access to the bottom.

I already minitubbed it and put in the Earl Williams spare tire filler, so it’s just a matter of filling these holes and doing a little tidying up.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts