Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I have a restomod 1959 Chevy Impala that I acquired from Belton, Missouri in July. Everything is going as planned but I like to stay ahead of the momentum.
I have been looking into tires and wheels and too much unfamiliar information has presented itself. What I have in mind is 15" on the front and 17" on the back. One of the local tire shops started talking about offsets and backsets and other stuff, which is completely foreign to me.
Can anyone suggest or help me understand what to look for? I thought this would be a straight forward adventure with some American Racing mags. Maybe 8" on the front with the 15" wheels and 10" on the back with the 17" wheels. Is it really more complicated than that? Beyond 15 or 17" I don't know tire or wheel sizes.
Is there anyone that is able to guide me through a process of elimination?
Here's an idea of what I have been looking at, which is along the lines of the old school Crager Mags.
http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/10212/vn420-classic-200s
http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/35308/vn504
This is what I have on right now but they are old Crager's and pitted.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sedan

Thanks for any help.

Hervey

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
The good thing about working with a tire shop is, if the wheels don't fit, they'll take them back. Let them calculate the offset or back spacing you need. Offset or back spacing are two different ways to describe which way and how far the wheel sits off the face of the hub. More back spacing moves the wheel away from the outside of the car. This is important since you don't want the tires rubbing on the body of the car. Personally, I'd go 17's both front and back, or 15's both front and back, it just looks better to me. The wheel diameter has nothing to do with the diameter of the tire. You can get 15" tires that are bigger diameter than 17's. 17's can be easier to get on and off since they have more space around the hub.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I look at the face of mounting of the disc/drum measure to back of wheel well and then subtract about 3/4”-1” off of that and that is you max backspace...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Fiddy5Coupe and Nevsat56 thank you for the suggestions. I have disc brakes and a 2" drop spindle, which is why I was thinking 15/17 to add to the attitude. However, 17's sound better.
Any suggestions on Brand wheels? I have only looked at American Racing and Foose. There is still lots of time. Most of the front end work is done. My son is a painter and is ready to paint the firewall and dash once I get the American Autowire kit installed. The assembly should be finished by Christmas. The engine (348 tri-power) will be ready next week after a complete rebuild. It is all pretty exciting for me since I haven't done any of this since 1969.
I'll do some more research and go with the 17's all around.
Thanks again guys. Every little bit helps.

Herv :shakehands::tu

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
How I decided on which wheel was to use a wheel visualizer. They are on-line, here is one place that has one, https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Wheel_Visualizer.cfm
Unfortunately, they don't have a 59 Impala, they say they have a 60, but what shows is a 61. Oh well. You enter the color of the car, pick the wheel and it shows you what the car would look like, generally.
Appearance, you need to decide that on your own!
The visualizers are fun!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I usually just stick to welds, cragars, reverse steels...i also only do 15”s wheels i like small wheel Big tire, so I’m no help to ya there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts