Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '55 2DR HDTP and 17x8 wheels with 41/2 in. backspace and no dropped spindles or lowering of rear; can anyone tell me the maximum tire I can run with no scraping issues?

1,313 Posts
255 on the Rear. 17x7 wheel would be a better choice on the front with a 235 tire.

Greg
I keep seeing & hearing 7 inch wheels on trifive fronts that’s it. I always thought that must be gospel. That was until I mounted one of my 17x8 with 4.5 b.s. wheels from my other hotrod on the front of my new belair and they fit great. This is with a 255/45/R17 tire. I experienced no rubing anywhere. Granted the suspension is stock for now but even when I compressed the fender down 2 inches to imulate the planned drop there appeared to be more than enough tire to fender clearance. I am also aware I will need a zero offset disc setup but I plan to run 17x8 with 4.5 bs on all 4 with a 10 inch wide tire. If anything they look to small on a trifive. The tire is 26 inches tall real close to the stock 15 inch tires on the car now. I'm considering going to a 255/50/R17 on all 4 which is a 27 inch tall tire if they will fit. What am I missing?
Rocky

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am running 18x9.5 wheels front and rear with 275/35-18 front and rear with 2" spacers on front and 2.5 spacers on rear with corvette wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I run 17x8 in these with 4.5bs and a 255x50x17 and the front 17x7 with a 4“bs with a 235x50x17. 2“droped springs caliper kit that moves the wheels out 7/8“ and no issues with rubbing.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,676 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I keep seeing & hearing 7 inch wheels on trifive fronts that’s it. I always thought that must be gospel. That was until I mounted one of my 17x8 with 4.5 b.s. wheels from my other hotrod on the front of my new belair and they fit great. This is with a 255/45/R17 tire. I experienced no rubing anywhere. Granted the suspension is stock for now but even when I compressed the fender down 2 inches to imulate the planned drop there appeared to be more than enough tire to fender clearance. I am also aware I will need a zero offset disc setup but I plan to run 17x8 with 4.5 bs on all 4 with a 10 inch wide tire. If anything they look to small on a trifive. The tire is 26 inches tall real close to the stock 15 inch tires on the car now. I'm considering going to a 255/50/R17 on all 4 which is a 27 inch tall tire if they will fit. What am I missing?
Rocky
Missing?

These sizes are tried and true for any ride height....from slammed on up. If you want to suggest something different that's your prerogative.

Greg

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I am running 18x9.5 wheels front and rear with 275/35-18 front and rear with 2" spacers on front and 2.5 spacers on rear with corvette wheels.
Is this with no rubbing and with stock inner front wheelwells?

Greg

1,313 Posts
Missing?

These sizes are tried and true for any ride height....from slammed on up. If you want to suggest something different that's your prerogative.

Greg
I wasn't suggesting I was asking. I'm a rookie. I wish to run at least an 8 inch wide wheel with 10 wide performance tires on all 4. In testing them all 4 on my car which is bone stock there appears to be more than enough room everywhere. I'm surprised & happy. The 8 inch wheel with a 4.5 bs is the cheapest most common size most brands. This wheel tire combo rubs all 4 corners on my 65 pro-touring cutlass.
Rocky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts