Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'VE DONE THE SEARCHES AND READ THE POSTS AND ALL THE CHARTS AVAILABLE ON THIS SUBJECT AND I'M STILL NOT SURE. IS THERE ANYONE WITH A 55, 15X7 CRAGAR SS MAGS, 4-1/4 OFFSET, FRONT WHEEL DISC BRAKES, REAR WHEEL DRUM BRAKES. IF YOU'RE RUNNING THIS SETUP PLEASE TELL ME THE SIZE TIRES YOU HAVE. I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
How much did your disc brake conversion kit move your wheels out? That answer will help you get advice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I THINK I'LL BE OK ON THE FRONT. I'LL BE RUNNING SMALLER TIRES THERE. MY MAIN CONCERN IS THE REAR. IF THE TIRES ARE TOO BIG, I'LL HAVE A RUBBING PROBLEM OR CAN'T CHANGE A FLAT WITHOUT A PIT CREW. I'VE READ PEOPLE RUNNING REAR TIRES ANYWHERE FROM 235X70X15 TO 295X60X15. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THESE SIZES CAN VARY WITH DIFFERENT BRAND MAGS. THAT'S WHY I'D LIKE ADVICE FROM SOMEONE RUNNING MY EXACT SET UP. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
15X7 with 4.25 bs is pretty standard. You don't have to find someone with your exact setup.

Since the really wide tires wouldn't be used with a 7" rim, you will be fine with pretty much any size you put on those wheels.

Take a look at this calculator.
http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/rear_tire.php
You can put 255/60-15s on it and they will fit. But those are really kind of a stretch for 7" wheels. I wouldn't like the way they would look on a 7" wheel.
IMO, 235/70-15s would be the perfect size for those wheels, they would look good and pretty much put it in the middle as far as inner/outer clearance.

They also should be easy to install but it is always better to lift the car by the frame instead of the axle for this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ROGER 1, THAT IS AN EXCELLENT WEB SITE. TONS OF INFO! I FEEL MUCH MORE CONFIDENT IN MY TIRE SELECTION. THANKS VERY MUCH !!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
15X7 with 4.25 bs is pretty standard. You don't have to find someone with your exact setup.

Since the really wide tires wouldn't be used with a 7" rim, you will be fine with pretty much any size you put on those wheels.

Take a look at this calculator.
http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/rear_tire.php
You can put 255/60-15s on it and they will fit. But those are really kind of a stretch for 7" wheels. I wouldn't like the way they would look on a 7" wheel.
IMO, 235/70-15s would be the perfect size for those wheels, they would look good and pretty much put it in the middle as far as inner/outer clearance.

They also should be easy to install but it is always better to lift the car by the frame instead of the axle for this.
A 15x7" wheel with the 4.24 BS should go under a '55 with no problems.

Even a 15x8" wheel with the same BS should still be in the ball park.

My 14x8 S/S Cragars with 4.00 BS should go under your '55 with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts