Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 225/70/15s on the rear of my 57 4DHT, it's a tight squeeze just barely clearing. I'd like to get 275s or even 295s on it by moving the spring over using a CPP spring pocket kit.
I don't want to cut the wheel tubs at all.
Anyone know if just moving the spring will give me enough clearance?
Oh yes, I'm going to put in a 2" narrower rear end while I'm at it.
Thanks
Jarhead

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
Run it through chevynut's wheel and tire calculator and it will tell you the clearances if everything on your car is the same as the spreadsheet values. You may need to measure but you can certainly get the "ideal" case. I think there's a copy somewhere on the site but not sure where.

I have seen 275 tires put on a stock rear with stock spring location. You must have the backspacing exactly right. Since when you move the springs inboard, you gain 3/4" (19 mm) on each side - and the 295 tires are 20 mm wider - you only lose 1 mm or .040" on each side compared to the 275 setup with stock spring location.

Keep in mind that while you may have clearance while the car is sitting still, you may not have enough to keep the tires from rubbing under every condition.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Just put 255/50/17's on 8"/3.75"bs Billet Spec Streetlites on my 55.
Axle is 58", springs in, no tubs, no rolled lips. Right at 1"+ clear on both sides.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have 17x8 on the front with 235 45 17 tires 4.50 backspacing

i have 17x9 on the rear with 275 40 17 tires 5.00 backspacing

this is what i am using stock everything except lowered 4 inches front back. This is the biggest that will fit with the springs in stock location. I still have room in the wheel well so more backspacing would do the trick as long as you pocket the springs

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are going to run a 16" wheel, then they still have 285 series tires available. (which has a 11.5 secion on a 10" wheel)
Remember that you can run a bit tighter tolerance on the inside vs to the lip of the quater. People on here have told me no less than 3/4 to the outside. (I have yet to prove that theory, but they all seem very smart) :sign0020:

Good luck.
KK

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the input.
I especially like the wheels on Bihili's car.
What wheels are those and do you have a side picture of the car with those wheels on it?
Looks like I won't have any trouble with 275s and 295s are possible.
Jarhead

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 275 60 15s on mine with 3inch dropn springs in stock location and no wheel well modifications, they are mounted on 15x7s but i also have welds that have 275s mounted on them measuring 8inch wide with 3.5inches of back spacing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts