Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished the 57 in 2007 and at that time of course bought a new set of tires. My question is about the safety and reliability of the tires? they look great, the tread is 75% there, no cracks, and have never seen snow or hard driving. about 30,000+ miles.
What do you all think? Should I look for new tires over the winter and start out next year with a new set.

Thank you,
Gary

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Finished the 57 in 2007 and at that time of course bought a new set of tires. My question is about the safety and reliability of the tires? they look great, the tread is 75% there, no cracks, and have never seen snow or hard driving. about 30,000+ miles.
What do you all think? Should I look for new tires over the winter and start out next year with a new set.

Thank you,
Gary
Yes.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,378 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Tires should be replace after about 6 years. A man from Indiana was kill on the interstate at the last trifive Nats in his 55. I was told that he had a blow out which caused the car to role. Was told his tires were out if date.

·
Administrator
48,740 Posts
I wouldn`t gamble on them myself. I had a blowout on the rear tire back in 2015. Around 12k miles on them and 5 yrs old. The tires still looked like new and no cracks what so ever. Car parked in a shop with zero sunlight in it when not driving it. Like the rest have said, not worth the chance of wrecking the ride over.
Terry

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Most manufactures recommend 8 years. Does that mean your going to blow a tire out at 8 years and 1 month, no. But the structural integrity of the tire will deteriorate. It is tough to decide to trash a tire that still looks good, when I was in the tire industry years ago,we used the enology of tires vs apples. How many times have you bitten into an apple that looked good, only to find it brown and mushy on the inside.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
The accident on the way to the nationals supposedly had 15 year old tires that looked like new. I don't buy tires going by their high mileage claims since my tires will be too old the use long before the tread is worn. Besides, generally speaking, lower mileage rated tires have softer rubber and better traction. Stick to the 30,000 mile tires and even if not worn, replace them after 5 to 7 years depending on who you ask.

·
Registered
66,313 Posts
darn, now will be worrying about mine. been on my 56 for over 12 years.

Reactions: Buckshot

·
Registered
701 Posts
Running tires old there are many things that could happen and they are all bad. Getting new ones is a relatively modest expense, all things considered.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your input, I will be changing out my tires this winter. As of right now it will not be leaving town and the next "big" adventure will be to drive it locally and slowly while looking at Christmas lights. Who knows they might be changed by the we do our Christmas lights drive.
Makes me realize how fortunate I was when I went Back to the 50's two years ago. Going to pay more attention to my tires in the years to come.

Thank you,
Gary S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts