Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a second 55. It is very loud inside the car. I am an old timer and I have never liked Headers. :tomato: I like loud, but out the back..My 1st car has a 327 ,Turbo 350, 273 rear and manifold and loud mufflers I love the sound. The new one has 350, turbo 400, 310 gear, shorty headers. I thought it had a 373 or 411 from the sound at 70. (No Tac) But I just checked and it is 310. Last night I took a ride in the back seat it is a littler better there. You can here the sound from the back. But in the front seat with the windows I do not like the sound. Super Turbo Mufflers. But the driver side muffler has a slight Crackel or rattle to it if I bump it. I do not see sign of a leak anywhere.Is it just the headers.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I just bought a second 55. It is very loud inside the car. I am an old timer and I have never liked Headers. :tomato: I like loud, but out the back..My 1st car has a 327 ,Turbo 350, 273 rear and manifold and loud mufflers I love the sound. The new one has 350, turbo 400, 310 gear, shorty headers. I thought it had a 373 or 411 from the sound at 70. (No Tac) But I just checked and it is 310. Last night I took a ride in the back seat it is a littler better there. You can here the sound from the back. But in the front seat with the windows I do not like the sound. Super Turbo Mufflers. But the driver side muffler has a slight Crackel or rattle to it if I bump it. I do not see sign of a leak anywhere.Is it just the headers.
If the headers are tight and not leaking I wouldn't think they would be loud. I use ramshorn exhaust manifolds. Not a header fan.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Puul...I've got full length headers on my 55....After putting up with the noise and drone from The Flowmaster 40's I had, I went to Dynomax Super Turbo's http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=dynomax super Turbo mufflers&dds=1 Quiet as a mouse now.
The mufflers say "SUPER TURBO" on them. They may be older than they look. I know old school GLASS PACKs use to ware out fast. I have not checked the insulation in the floor boards. It was a high end TRAILOR QUEEN that now has 5K miles but in its others life I am sure she was put too bed often with condensation in the mufflers. Again no sign of leaks. Just asumed headers..

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I'd check the dyna-mat and see how much/thick it is. I still like my noise but may go to 3 chamber instead of two......:tu.......love the pair of 55s.
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so I put it up on the lift and It has 17732 = 14" Daynomax. And they are older so I will look at 20" when I do the LS2 upgrade... Thanks for all the answers.....

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
OK so I put it up on the lift and It has 17732 = 14" Daynomax. And they are older so I will look at 20" when I do the LS2 upgrade... Thanks for all the answers.....
You might want to consider Magnaflow mufflers, no drone like some Flowmaster and Dynomax mufflers can create.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts