Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a spring pocket kit,9"that is 56 and 7/8 mounting surface to mounting surface and going to run disc brakes.If i can run a 10" wheel with a pretty nice deep lip i wont.The body is just a shell so i still have time.Looking for if i coulda woulda.Thanks for any of your thoghts...

·
12,256 Posts
The "deep lip" on the wheel won't change with a minitub. It's determined by your axle width. The minitub will let you run a larger tire, though.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did it and it was a lot of work for me. It took me several weekends to finish but I know a guy who did it in one weekend. My car is finished and I don't think it's all that visible of a mod and wouldn't do it again if I did another car. Too much work and doesn't get that much notice. It does allow a 315 size tire though if that's what you're after.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My question is; Is rust an issue? If you have to replace some metal back there to begin with,I'd go for it but if it's solid ,and I didn't REALLY need bigger tire size,I wouldn't do it JMO.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
With a 56-7/8" axle and a 10" rim, you're just about on the limit of truly needing a mini-tub. If you don't, you're going to need a shallow backspace wheel and it's going to have to be precisely measured and spec'd for you to run even a 275 wide tire. But you could do it. You would be limited to the 275 tire, which is really too narrow for a 10" rim.

You gain only 3/4" per side by doing a pocket kit. You can gain 2-1/4" per side, putting the tubs right against the frame, if you tub AND do the pocket kit. The bonus is you won't have any problems with tire to fender or tire to tub clearance until you get to a 335 or so tire width if you do the backspacing correctly.

Doing a mini tub is not as difficult as it is time consuming, especially if you want to finish it to look like it was made that way.

I did a mini-tub on mine using a pocket kit, a 58-1/2" axle, 8-1/2" rims with 4-3/4" backspacing, and 275 tires, and I have no regrets. I could put a 315 or 335 tire in there if I wanted.

·
Registered
903 Posts
IM IN THE PROCESS OF DOING ONE RIGHT NOW, SLOW GOING AT IT, TO ME ITS A NO BRAINER IF YA DO THE SPRING POCKET KIT AND NOT DO MINI TUB U DO NOT GAIN MUCH. ITS NOT THAT HARD ITS A LOT OF LABOR AND TIME CONSUMING WELDING & GRINDING TO ME ITS WORTH THE TIME FOR THE SIZE TIRE JMO

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
It was a lot more work than I thought it would be, but now that it's done I'm glad I did it.

Lots of room for big tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:happy0030: I recently finished installing air rides 4 link and mini tubbed on my own. First one and it took quite some time for me. Mounted some MT 315/60/15's and MAN WAS I STOKED! To see the car with a 13.9" section width looks toooooooo Bitchin! and it's gonna grab the road. Worth the work for sure.:tu

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I already have a spring pocket kit,9"that is 56 and 7/8 mounting surface to mounting surface and going to run disc brakes.If i can run a 10" wheel with a pretty nice deep lip i wont.The body is just a shell so i still have time.Looking for if i coulda woulda.Thanks for any of your thoghts...
I never regret the mini tub..with a 11" deep dish wheel / 345 tire the housing was 50-1/4" disc to disc:)

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
With a 56-7/8" axle and a 10" rim, you're just about on the limit of truly needing a mini-tub. If you don't, you're going to need a shallow backspace wheel and it's going to have to be precisely measured and spec'd for you to run even a 275 wide tire. But you could do it. You would be limited to the 275 tire, which is really too narrow for a 10" rim.

You gain only 3/4" per side by doing a pocket kit. You can gain 2-1/4" per side, putting the tubs right against the frame, if you tub AND do the pocket kit. The bonus is you won't have any problems with tire to fender or tire to tub clearance until you get to a 335 or so tire width if you do the backspacing correctly.

Doing a mini tub is not as difficult as it is time consuming, especially if you want to finish it to look like it was made that way.

I did a mini-tub on mine using a pocket kit, a 58-1/2" axle, 8-1/2" rims with 4-3/4" backspacing, and 275 tires, and I have no regrets. I could put a 315 or 335 tire in there if I wanted.

Very similar to my 55s combo, 56 inch Dana 60, 8.5 Torque Thrust 3.75 BS, 275/60/15BFGs and I like it. It is easy to get tires on and off and no rub issues.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If I wanted wider tires I'd just TUB it narrow the frame and geter done. I run M/Ts on my 57, 12" wide no tub usind back space but radiused wheel wells. My nova has 29x15.5x15 I tubed that and if I chose I can go wider

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Like what has been already said, a big, time consuming job but well worth it.
Just make sure you've got a decent welder, i did mine with a cheap mini mig and it was **** but now i'm going to get something decent to put the 4 link kit in.
I went with 15x10 and 29 x 12.5 Hoosiers and i love the way it looks now with heaps of room to spare aswell.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hey Seriusteel... you got any more pics of that tire size... 315 60 15's ... I was looking at that one too.

Any shots from the back?

Gil

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
To mini or not.....

Hi - If you are apart already and have the pocket kit installed then it is absolutely the right time to do the mini tub. It is a fair amount of metal working to get it nice, but well worth the effort..!!! I'm running Mickey T's 30X12.00R15LT that have 10+ inches of tread on the road with 10 inch wheels and 6 inch deep reverse. They are 12 inch wide at sidewall and I still have a bit of room to go bigger if I want to. You cant get that look without the minitub..!! Good Luck

JMHO.....DK

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
This is my buddy's 56. He is not tubbed, has the leaf springs relocation kit, rearend is 58 inches mounting point to mounting point, He is running 17x10 with a 275/50/17 tire in the rear.

My 55 has the leaf springs relocation kit, rearend is 58 inches mounting point to mounting point, 18x10 in the rear, 285/45/18, not tubbed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts