Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing from a turbo 400 to a 4l60. Is it cheaper to shorten or buy a new drive line. Have no idea the cost of shortening and balancing. Who has done this.

Thanks Jim.

·
Premium Member
13,409 Posts
it depends if you have a driveshaft shop close by. if you have to ship it it's probably cheaper to buy new.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
I ordered one off eBay years ago with a yoke and it was only about $170 shipped. May be more expensive now, I will look for the link.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just had one recently redone with new yoke and balanced. Total cost out the door was 215.00. :)

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Changing from a turbo 400 to a 4l60. Is it cheaper to shorten or buy a new drive line. Have no idea the cost of shortening and balancing. Who has done this.

Thanks Jim.
Our local shop just shortened a long bed 64 truck shaft, to fit a 55 short bed truck.
Cost was $180.00, including UPS back to the shop.
I prefer to buy new. We get them from Mark @ PST, in Tampa, Fl.
Price is right, service is great. I think the last one was about $280.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,268 Posts
I had my drive shaft shortened, new yoke, balanced and painted for 140. LocAL SHOP

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Just had one done at my local driveline shop. Shortened, new U joints, swapped to Ford flange on the rear, and 700R4 yoke on the front. I provided the yoke and ford flange. So shortening, new U joints, and balancing, plus assembling cost me $180.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I got one from southwest speed a few years ago...came with the new yoke and all the u-joints for $220 to my door....was a happy camper

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got one from southwest speed a few years ago...came with the new yoke and all the u-joints for $220 to my door....was a happy camper
Looks to be close costwise. Will be in the Phoenix area so should be plenty of shops to got the job done. I have the yoke also. Thanks for the input, I had no idea of the cost. Sort of a critical item.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts