Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toms 57 belair 2 door hardtop is almost without a floor. So we have obtained a new floor and have Caged the inside to lift the body off the floorpan. Take a look and we still accept suggestions. look at all at
http://www.trifive.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3080

Attachments

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gonna add a few more braces, then outriggers to lift

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Angs1957

Suggestion be careful where you brace as it could interfere with the floor
Yes, careful not to do that. Luckily we have my 2 dr hdtp to use for floor depth measurements, as well as numerous other measurements. Driver door fits good w/good gaps before welding, but pass dr is wacked. after everything is back in place we have remove the "A" pillar lower, (damaged in a previous collision) and replace it with another good one using a good door hanging from the latch and gapped right.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I don't think anything is going to move. LOL

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take no chances

I had to brace every way possible. The only thing keeping the quarters attached to the firewall was the roof posts. Floor is gone from rocker to rocker and toe board to trunklid.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It might be a few weeks before we actually lift the body off because of other work.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bracing

Still have 2 pieces of window trim to remove and install last brace on driver side quarter window.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last 5 braces installed

Got the trim off the left quarter window and got the rest of braces inside cabin and 2 more in the trunk. I.....THINK.....Im done till we lift her.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
that's the most bracing I've seen. it should stay in place!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Done this before? Advice on prep and primer

Any of you who may have done this or similar before, Once I get the floor out, would you move it outside and grit blast around areas of lower edges where they will marry up to the floor. Also any "recommends" or "stay clear of" for weld thru primers. Do the aerosols work ok or should I get the kind I could spray with a jamb gun? Never used the weld thru primer before.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
floors Ready

New floor is ready to back into garage and under the car. Bolted to a 4 door frame I have. Check out the sexy frame horn hitch I Fabbed. I can drop it on my s-10 hitch and put it right in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
New floor is ready to back into garage and under the car. Bolted to a 4 door frame I have. Check out the sexy frame horn hitch I Fabbed. I can drop it on my s-10 hitch and put it right in place.
Looking good. As for blasting around the seams that wouldnt be a bad idea. I used UPOL weld thru primer and think it works just fine.

Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanx Muscleparts

I'm the owner of this basket case that has potential, If it wasn't for the help of muscleparts it wouldn't happen. Thanx for all of the help and advice!!!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
primer

I did not have good success with weldable primer. Be sure to clean mating surfaces well too. I used xylene.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whats it weigh?

Was going to move this over 1 bay and pickup with assymetrical dover lift. Problem is every time we work a side hustle or fix one of our rag tag Fleet, we would have to move it back. So we are looking at shoring up several beams in the loft floor and hoisting it up in place. It cant weigh much no doors, decklid, FLOOR, no interior. Just 2 quarters a roof and a firewall. Any Estimates on shell weight?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts