Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I took my dad's car to his and my mom's resting place for them to see.He is the original owner bought in 1957 in Los Angeles when he was 24 years old. Very emotional to speak the works out loud "Dad here is your car! How do you like it? Mom did I do good? "

Yesterday was the first day it was truly operational after I got the front end aligned. Since last night and now I have spun the odometer from 0 to 60 miles. All seems fine for the most part. Temp gauge doesn't seem correct.The gauge seems to live at first mark.I shot the thermo housing temp and it is around 190 and return hose is around 155. Is that normal operating temps? Found the headlights out of adjustment as I was riding into the sunset and into the evening. I have to say the panel lights can be a little brighter.Also may need to bring the idle up a bit as well. My biggest relief this morning was no leaks under the car when I went out to check on her. Wow!! what a different vehicle to drive. I have never drove a car like this. My only experience is from the back seat as a child watching my dad drive. Gotta change all my driving habits for sure. I have to say it handles pretty darn good.Can let the wheel go and it stays on course. I will put some more miles in a bit. I am picking up my son a little later this afternoon in his grandfathers Belair and he doesn't know it yet !!

This week I will have the interior fully installed. I just have the front seat temp installed so I could safely drive her on a trailer to get alignment done.
I hope to share "completed Belair" next week!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
drive

Wow, Great story & car. I,m sure somewhere they know. How much work did you have to do to the car? paint? interior? :congrats:Dick

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, Great story & car. I,m sure somewhere they know. How much work did you have to do to the car? paint? interior? :congrats:Dick
Did a complete body off restoration. It was completely worn out. My dad rebuilt the motor and transmission before he passed away. So I like to think it is running on his heart !! :) Jim

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
That's a beautiful car, and I'm sure your parents would be pleased with the love you have put into the car.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Very nice story and you did great job on the ´57. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Hey Jim, Got a little choked up reading your post...that is absolutely awesome!!! :congrats::congrats::congrats:

I bet both your parents would have had a tear in their eye seeing their old car turn out looking so beautiful!!!

Hope your son enjoys, and truly appreciates the surprise...but something tells me you have taught him well, and he will indeed :)

Wish I was closer...beer would be on me! :tu:congrats::shakehands:

·
Registered
488 Posts
wow ! great story ! nice to see that the car stayed in the family all those years, i love my 57 and when my time is up I hope one of Nephews treats it the way i do i wish i could say they would but ?? who knows.

thanks for story.

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
thanks for sharing bonno. :tu

1 - 20 of 26 Posts