Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing how unorganized my tool chest has become since I started my 55 project! When I retired 5 years ago I could go blind folded to my box almost and pick up almost anything I needed. Now, missing wrenches (hopefully in another drawer somewhere), things in wrong places and in serious need of emptying it completely and regrouping.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Mine are organized, but only because I don't allow anyone else in the house to use them!!!

One tool I gave up on years ago was an air compressor. Mine just seemed to run non stop and that sound is God awful!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine are organized, but only because I don't allow anyone else in the house to use them!!!

One tool I gave up on years ago was an air compressor. Mine just seemed to run non stop and that sound is God awful!!
I’ve always been organized but since retired I’ll be working and someone interrupt me and I lay down a wrench while I go help them do something and don’t take long for things to get misplaced. I loan someone something and they don’t put it back where they found it etc. so far going through 3 of 10 drawers I have found several “missing “ things. Haven’t even gotten to the top of the chest where all sockets and ratchets and divider on left of there with all pliers, vise grips and screwdrivers are. Or at least hope they are

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
If I'm done with a build, or a big project I will usually try to do a complete reorganization of my tool boxes within a few days. During the projects I tend to get in a hurry and a huge number of tools end up tossed into the open top tray of my roll arounds.
I also have multiple roll around toolboxes and a lot of tools duplicated in them because I have two shops at the house and hate running back and forth. So I have to return tools to their respective boxes, and also to the pegboard on the garage wall too.
I have a small work bench in my basement with limited tools there too, and it can be a real mess as I forget it until I go to the bench to do a small project and see it needs organizing.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm done with a build, or a big project I will usually try to do a complete reorganization of my tool boxes within a few days. During the projects I tend to get in a hurry and a huge number of tools end up tossed into the open top tray of my roll arounds.
I also have multiple roll around toolboxes and a lot of tools duplicated in them because I have two shops at the house and hate running back and forth. So I have to return tools to their respective boxes, and also to the pegboard on the garage wall too.
I have a small work bench in my basement with limited tools there too, and it can be a real mess as I forget it until I go to the bench to do a small project and see it needs organizing.
Yeah I know! When I ran my shop I always inventoried after every vehicle to make sure I didn’t plant any snap ons lol! They don’t grow back.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The good news is that I only seem to be missing one 17mm deep well impact socket. I know I didn’t use it on the 55 lol so have no idea where it would be. I occasionally take in a minor job or two so it could be anywhere. I’ll take this as a win.

·
Administrator
70,218 Posts
Thats what happens when they get used and not returned in an orderly fashion, dont get me wrong this is a good thing your actually using the tools you need to get the work done (y)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what happens when they get used and not returned in an orderly fashion, dont get me wrong this is a good thing your actually using the tools you need to get the work done (y)
Retired life for me has been a lot different than a structured life when I was in business! Every minute and detail was scheduled then. Now it’s I’ll get it done tomorrow and if tomorrow doesn’t come then it won’t matter.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,610 Posts
My tool boxes keep growing. The "stack" is about 5'x6'. Although I have some drawers labeled, I really only needed that for when I got more boxes to the stack and rearranged a lot of tools. None of the drawers have much if any available space in them, and I'm not and never was a mechanic. To organize them better would require more tool boxes.
When finishing a dirty greasy job, I put the tools on a pile in front of the box and wipe them clean as I put them away. If someone else is getting a tool for me, it's hard to tell them what drawer it's in, but when I'm in front of it, sometimes it takes a second or two, but then know what drawer it's in.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Now it’s I’ll get it done tomorrow and if tomorrow doesn’t come then it won’t matter.
My thots exactly!
At 83, maybe I should be working along the line "what if it doesn't" part?? 😁
Parts and tools "lost" in a matter of minutes. And the shop is only 30 x 30!
That "darned dog ate my homework" scenario always comes to mind.
My bud, also in his 80th, justify losing/replacing, only to find we have 2 of something,
with the "catch phrase "Oh well, something else for the swap meet".
We've been planning on that trip for yrs. Still not done, as we have now lost 1/2 of the "stuff" we were taking.:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts