Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boxwrench seems to be a pretty good site for torque specs.

http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm

They have the following caveat:

"Torque Specs

These specs may not be correct for your application.

Verify your engine specs with a service manual for your year and model"

For GM experts I have a question.

Could I assume with some confidence that a 1977 Pontiac SB350 service manual, torque specs, would also apply to a 78-79 Chevy 350? I'm just guessing that there would be some continuity within GM production lines regarding base components such as engines, trans, etc., or did they all 'do their own thing'?

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
I think Pontiac was still making their own engines in 1977.

I would not rely on torque figures in the Pontiac service manual as applying to a Chevrolet engine. The fasteners in the Pontiac engine are probably bigger than the Chevy engine on some key components like heads, main caps, and connecting rods - so the torque recommended by Pontiac would be too high for a Chevy.

You should be able to find some Chevy torque figures on the internet. I'll bet someone already has a link they'll post.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Pontiac was still making their own engines in 1977.

I would not rely on torque figures in the Pontiac service manual as applying to a Chevrolet engine. The fasteners in the Pontiac engine are probably bigger than the Chevy engine on some key components like heads, main caps, and connecting rods - so the torque recommended by Pontiac would be too high for a Chevy.

You should be able to find some Chevy torque figures on the internet. I'll bet someone already has a link they'll post.
Yea, thanks Rick. Good thing I paid 50 cents for the Pontiac manual. I did seem to notice what appeared as high torque numbers.

Anyone have a link in addition to "boxwrench"?

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
I didn't look at your link closely earlier, after reading it just now, most of the numbers look good, especially the critical ones. You'll be ok using them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts