Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed an engine swap in my 57 210 and after installation, noticed a scratch on the inner fender in the gloss black paint. The car was restored by a previous owner and I do not have the ability to know the exact gloss black used. I have tried 5 different paints including: Eastwood high gloss frame paint, Rustoleum, Testors, High gloss over the counter, but all attempts are coming out more gray both on a white sample and the actual fender. The spot is about 2 inches by 2 inches so I can detail brush of spray (see pictures). I am one of those over detailed people and its bothering me. Anyone had experience getting a paint match maybe from a body shop or restoration??[/ATTACH]

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Often times the same paint when used as a touch up will not match what is sprayed. Without knowing the exact brand and how it was applied it is going to be a crap shoot.

Most blacks are not a true black and have impurities in them that make then look grayish.

Mikey

·
Registered
825 Posts
This may turn into a blend job if you can reach it. May be the only way without redoing both inner fenders.
Todd

·
Registered
35,555 Posts
Even in a higher end single stage automotive paint line like PPG DCC, there is more than one "black". DCC9300 has more brown color, DCC9700 has more blue. 9300 is probably what you get if you just walk in or call the paint store and don't ask questions.

Then there's all the blending stuff, overspray and its removal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts