Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to track a cars previous history in the US using the registration plates? My Chevy is imported from California earlier this year and it still has the plates on.

In Sweden the public authority for vehicle registrations has a website where you can enter a cars registration plate letters and numbers and see information about the vehicle and also the last three previous owners.

Is there such a public authority in the US (or are there even different ones in different states)?

I guess it's less interesting if one finds out that the car has had 33 previous owners but it might be worth giving it a try and see what comes up.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Most of the states won't give you the names of the owners unless you register with them and pay a fee. Some might not let you pay a fee unless you're an investigator, etc. I'm not sure of the actual restrictions, but the they try to keep personal information private or at least make it look like they're keeping it private.

I do know that the information is available, however, and I whenever I've wanted it I've used a private investigator.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, too bad. But I can see that thinking about everyone's privacy makes such a service difficult to offer.

The way we have it here can be really useful. When buying a used car from places like ebay (in Sweden), we can always check on a cars license no and see the last three owners names and addresses. If you see that a car has changed ownership two times in the last couple of days it might worth checking up before buying. Or if you just want to make contact in search for a cars history it's very useful as well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I sometimes wish my car could talk so it could tell me where it's been these last 50 years. Who owned you, what did they do to you. Who did what.

The trail on my car went cold after talking to two previous owners. The owner before me knew a little "hear say" history, but the guy before him hardly remembers it at all because he "has bought and sold allot of cars." I too was wondering if there was a way to get a list of past regestered owners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts