Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I want to add some info to this thread. I went a different route and instead of adding traction bars, I've had Global West build me a custom set of leaf springs that have a lot more material than a standard tri-five (or any GM) leaf spring. They're probably more similar to a set of Mopar springs.

Here's your typical tri-five five leaf spring

Here are my new GW springs

It's a bit hard to see, but there is a LOT more material towards the front of these springs than a set of stockers. Additionally, you can see that the second leaf is nearly as long as the first leaf.

Probably not a solution for a boat load of power, but probably enough for your average 400HP street car.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Very Nice

This would help with the bending in the front eye area also... after 10K I see passenger side is bending a little.. I will google.
Thanks.
I want to add some info to this thread. I went a different route and instead of adding traction bars, I've had Global West build me a custom set of leaf springs that have a lot more material than a standard tri-five (or any GM) leaf spring. They're probably more similar to a set of Mopar springs.

Here's your typical tri-five five leaf spring

Here are my new GW springs

It's a bit hard to see, but there is a LOT more material towards the front of these springs than a set of stockers. Additionally, you can see that the second leaf is nearly as long as the first leaf.

Probably not a solution for a boat load of power, but probably enough for your average 400HP street car.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Just fyi for those interested in these types of springs. I had to call GW and actually request them. They don't list them online or anything. They make the same type of spring for other GM cars (F-bodies in particular). They took a few weeks to build them, but that's the deal when you ask for custom stuff too.

I'll also mention that these springs were under $400 shipped to my door so it's not like I spent a pile of money on them either.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yep..

I hate to be the perennial naysayer, but I also see problems with the bars that bihili linked to also.

If the front bracket on that one just bolts on and pivots about the spring eye, where is the force of the bar taken? Looks to me like it will be taken by wadding up the front traction bar bracket and the front spring bracket. From what I can see only the edges of those two parts are in contact.
Looks to me to be a cheap "copy" of the Cal's.........

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
My 56 plants the tires and hooks awesome for a stock type car with SSM bars. So well I tried to buy some for my 55 and ended up with JEGs Clones. This was a bad plan with minitubs, so it was back to the Lakewoods and some wheel hop. If you dont have minitubs and can handle the stiff ride the JEGs bars are the best bangt for buck.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
PLEASE HELP!!!! I am getting ready to order these from Summit and REALLY need some feedback.

I am looking to get the best bang for the buck on a traction bar set-up. I am thinking of a set of the McGaughy's part # 63212 bars. Take a look:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...923670+4294908034+4294839061+115&autoview=sku

Does anyone have any experience with these? Or heard any good/bad things about them? Please let me know. Thanks!

Semper Fi
-Matt-
My best bang for the buck was the chrome pair (old school) I picked up on ebay for 20 bucks.Jim

·
Registered
37,591 Posts
Looks like GW extended the second leaf both directions but didn't change much if anything else.

Supposedly proper design of a leaf spring has a proportionality to all the secondary leafs (leaves?). In other words the GW springs aren't "right" because the 3rd and 4th leafs are too short. This info from Eaton Detroit Spring and other sources. But I don't know how critical. I think what ends up is that the main leaf and 2nd leaf are carrying more load than the rest.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I have the ones you were looking at. They work great. Ive broke 2 leaf so finally bought them, no more spring binding and wheel hop.:congrats:

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Man!!! That is the smartest post I have seen tonight. Overkill is rampant on this site. Great post brother!!! :congrats::bowtier::gba:

I guess, I would ask this question of you first. What is the intention of the vehicle? Defining that first will direct a better answer from the group. Granted, what has been said is good info, but your specific expectations may not, as in most cases, be the same as someone else.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts