Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 has run 14 inch cragers since the early 80s. The set that is in the car was purchased in 89. The BFG P215/70R14 RWL tires are now 8 years old and I am going to replace them. That and my back and knees are letting me know that wrestling the old style unilug crager ss rims and locating washers is probably not where I want to be going forward, lol.

So I want to make the change to a 15 inch rim and a wider rear tire. I have old school lakewood traction bars on the stock rear. Would anyone else happen to be running traditional traction bars and if so, what size rear tires are your running to the tires dont rub on the quarter or the traction bars?

I was thinking say a P215/70R15 BFG RWL front tire and a P255/60R15 rear or do I need to go smaller, like a 235?

· Premium Member
3,491 Posts
A 255 on a 8" rim with 4.5" BS cleared the quarters fine on my 56 with Caltracs not the same as your traction bars though when it had stock springs & stock width rear axle some say a 275 will work? & second the fact the unilug 14" Cragars are a major PITA my buddies 55 that I done a ton of work on still has them been pushing him to replace them nice old school look though.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Mike you've seen my car can only speak for the 55, Im running 205/75R15 in the front and 235/75R15 on the rear 15X7 Cragars with those bolt on traction bars. Best side view I could find for reference. All stock and if I remember correctly the 235 was a big as I could go without any clearance issues..
Sorry to hear your givin up on the most awesome wheel in motoramic history. You'll be sorry old boy.,. Hey talk to Patrick I'm sure he would R&R them when you need to.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I am not giving up on my beloved SS Cragars. I am going to buy a set of 15 inch direct drill versions. I have to call Cragar and see which version I need but I think it’s the direct drill versions In the link. Frankly I have had Cragar SS rims on my car for so long it would not be my car with out them. I just have to figure out rim size and tire size taking into consideration that I just can’t give up my raised white letters, lol.

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick, you made me think about that. I had it in my mind that the traction bars were pretty close so I just went out to the garage, pulled the snow blower out and got to the back of the car. You are quite correct, I have more room then I thought.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Tread

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Whew!!! Had me worried there for a minute thought you were goin goofy on us, maybe smelling too many paint fumes ! Awesome.
Lol! I have looked at a lot of cars over the years. Lots of rim and tire combinations. Most look great, some not so great but every time I imagine my car with something other then the SS mags, I can’t imagine it, lol.

I just don’t have it in me any longer to wrestle the tires and try to get the lugs and washers lined up. Funny the aggravation you are willing to tolerate at 18 and what you are not willing to tolerate a couple of decades later, lol.

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, 255! I am going to have to ask my pal bob if he has any 255s mounted and see what it’s like getting it on and off. I am definitely not willing to unbolt the shocks every time I want to take the tire off. You never know, the 235s might be just enough. I need a speck more tire at the nationals for the fun runs. My car, even with its itty bitty motor, just spins the tires at the starting line. I am going to put some Lakewood shocks on the car this winter, front and back, and with a slightly larger tire, maybe eliminate the spin, maybe, lol.

· Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,392 Posts
a 255 will slip on and off a 57 with ease. jack up car place jackstands under frame, in front of spring, and lower rear. easy peasy.

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh boy, looks like I better get started on the rims post haste. The 15x6 rims are back ordered, no 4.5 back spacing on the 15 x8 rims, and the custom shop is not doing any custom back spacing work at the moment.

· Registered
986 Posts
Dragsix, for what it's worth, on my '57 2 dr. I am running 215/70/15s on all four corners. Mounted to original GM car rallies, 15 x 7s. Have a set of Mr. Gasket traction bars, they have been on there since the mid 70's and as you say it just would not be "my car" without them. Running a 60's P case 3:55 posi, Come spring time and warmer weather need to jack the '57, pull the bars and run them thru my glass bead machine. Fresh coat of bright yellow and new Mr. Gasket stickers, will look much better than. Can see them from a side view and looking a bit dingy, LOL.

· Premium Member
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then you understand! Lol. I have P215/70R14s on the car now but they are just about 8 years old now, and by the time the nationals gets here they will be even older. They look to be in perfect shape, plenty of tread, not many miles on them, but with a wife, kids and grandkids all still in the picture, I just am not willing to take a chance. When I replaced the decades old 14 inch bias ply tires in early 2015, there was no wider choice then the 215 tire. So that’s what I used. I would have preferred a slightly wider tire for the rear but 14 inch tires are not that popular. Now that I am switching to a 15 inch rim I have a little better selection and can get something a little wider.

· Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
947 Posts
My 57 has run 14 inch cragers since the early 80s. The set that is in the car was purchased in 89. The BFG P215/70R14 RWL tires are now 8 years old and I am going to replace them. That and my back and knees are letting me know that wrestling the old style unilug crager ss rims and locating washers is probably not where I want to be going forward, lol.

So I want to make the change to a 15 inch rim and a wider rear tire. I have old school lakewood traction bars on the stock rear. Would anyone else happen to be running traditional traction bars and if so, what size rear tires are your running to the tires dont rub on the quarter or the traction bars?

I was thinking say a P215/70R15 BFG RWL front tire and a P255/60R15 rear or do I need to go smaller, like a 235?
In case you haven't considered it, your speedometer and final "effective" gear ratio will change with larger outside diameter wheel/ tires. But considering the ratio you've got it will still probably be somewhere between 4:11 and 4"88

1 - 20 of 34 Posts