Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
My friend Bob and I built the 4:11 gear set that has been in the car I want to say arond 1983 or 84 on the side street of his parent's house where we grew up. We were in our 20s then. Now we are in our 60s, lol. So my speedo rarely had any accuracy to it. Worse, two years ago the cable snapped (I have had that speedo apart at least a dozen times since I was a teenager in the 70s so it does not suprise me that it may have given up the ghost once again, lol). Last year I picked up a pair of P rears and some lower gears (4:56 and 4:88) and then rebuilt a 4:56 gear set that I ran at the nationals this past August. I wont lie, it was pretty fun. You could never run those gears on the highway for any length of time but bopping around the neighborhood was smile inducing. In fact the fitrst time my son and I took the car out for a test drive with the new gears, we both broke out laughing the first time i stepped on it in first gear.

I have to dig up a set of real GM posi clutches to rebuild the 4:88 posi. The posi is actually a 3 series with a spacer. I have a 4 series bare case, a set of new updated side gears and spiders and the P case to do the build with. Are the 4:88s too much? Probably but If I can find the clutches I will probably run 4:88s at this years nationals.

I am reminded of a really nice gentleman, a member here, Lloyd's55. Patrick and I met Lloyd at the first Nationals in 2015. Older man, I want to say he was in his 70s then, he had his 55 that he restored back in the day with him. We were sitting at the trifive tent, Lloyd was talking to Patrick who was 19 at the time. After, Lloyd said to me that never in his life did he think that a man his age would to be talking with a 19 year old about trifives and that he could not wait until the 2016 Nationals. Unfortunately Lloyd passed away before the 2016 show. Life is short so I think I would rather give the 4:88s a go just to say I did it because you never know what the future holds. If I am stuck in a nursing home looking at the ceiling all day daydreaming, I think I want to be daydreaming of the things I had a chance to do rather then the things I should have taken a chance doing, lol.

I sent an email to Crager's tech contact to confirm that I am reading their online catelog correctly and get a recommendation for some rim sizes.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
One of the best hooking street cars i have ever had is my 56, it has South Side Machine bars and 225/70/15s on 15x6 Torque Thrust Ds. Everything I own except front wheel drive junk has a posi, 56 has a 3.42 58 Olds 9.3 posi.

As far as speedos go real men don't need them. My 67 Camaro SS 350 has not had one since the 1970s and when I built the 55 I never bothered hooking one up. As long as you have owned that car you know the feel of it, plus you have a tach.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
Mike,

Just got off phone with a friend who just got off phone with Jeggs to see how his Cragar order was coming. He ordered - first of December - four Cragars, direct drill 15X6 & 15X8 and was told not to expect them until March. Can’t believe the $$$$ they are getting now.

Fuzz

· Registered
889 Posts
255/60-15 tires work great on many GM midsize and C3 cars for generations and I have used them on many of my cars over the years. Especially if you can run the same size on the front, which I always do. On my 55 I am running 275/40-17's front and rear.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
[/QUOTE]
255/60-15 tires work great on many GM midsize and C3 cars for generations and I have used them on many of my cars over the years. Especially if you can run the same size on the front, which I always do. On my 55 I am running 275/40-17's front and rear.
255/60 /15 worked well on all four corners of my 78 Corvette, 235/6015 is about it for my 74 Z28, it came out new with F-60-15. My guess a 55-57 is closer to the Camaro on tire size.

· Premium Member
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am leaning toward the 235/70R15 tire for the rear and 215/70R15 for the front. Fuzz, thanks for letting me know that information. Those are exactly the size rims I was thinking. I agree on the cost but I think everything Is expensive now.

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Oh I am not giving up on my beloved SS Cragars. I am going to buy a set of 15 inch direct drill versions. I have to call Cragar and see which version I need but I think it’s the direct drill versions In the link. Frankly I have had Cragar SS rims on my car for so long it would not be my car with out them.
So, what I'm hearing is - you're not up for a different look? :)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

· Premium Member
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Oh no, no way. I feel like I am 17 again when I drive my car. Its as familiar as riding a bike and I intend to keep it that way, lol.

July 1978, age 17, stripping the paint for a snazzy red paint job.
Smile Motor vehicle Flash photography Vehicle door Vintage clothing

Older and fatter, same car, lol.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Oh no, no way. I feel like I am 17 again when I drive my car. Its as familiar as riding a bike and I intend to keep it that way, lol.
Your car has the right look - truly the "I feel 17 again and I love it" look. Nothing says 1960s/1970s like a nice set of Cragars on a '57.

Obviously, I was just messing with you about the wheels. I did a quick look for a '57 with some truly disgusting wheels - the picture I posted was the best I could do in a handful of minutes.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I am leaning toward the 235/70R15 tire for the rear and 215/70R15 for the front. Fuzz, thanks for letting me know that information. Those are exactly the size rims I was thinking. I agree on the cost but I think everything Is expensive now.
I believe this is what I went with. Currently still stock width rear. The rears are a total p.i.t.a. to get out on a 55. I like the look of alot of side wall though and car sits up nice. I don't think I'd do 70's in the rear again unless I mini tub and narrow rear.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts