Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should trans fluid be put into a new trans (TH400) if it's not going to be run for a few months? I had changed engine oil in the sbc 350 just prior to taking it off the road for "work" which eventually turned into a full-blown project. Engine, trans were pulled, etc. Even with fresh oil it had turned 'milky' after sitting for awhile.

Wondering if fluids should wait until start-up in the future.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My opinion on fluid in the tranny is it won't matter because you are only filling the pan and won't have circulated it throughout the transmission.

I think even if you were able to circulate it, with no use it would eventually migrate down into the pan and find a way to leak out.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
Well, let's see, if the pan was filled with oil and it got "milky", somehow it got water in it, or condensation. Since water is heavier than oil, the water will go to the bottom and probably rust will start there.

Now if you did the same storage, but didn't fill the pan, then your pan is going to rust. And maybe all the other steel parts.

And I agree with r66ss' comment about circulating or not.

Seems like the best answer is clean, dry storage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even with fresh oil it had turned 'milky' after sitting for awhile. :eek:

oil shouldnt turn milky while sittn, appears u hav issues there my friend , better check into it .
Thanks, I needed that.

At this point there's nothing obvious, head gasket etc. Engine hasn't run in seven years or so and I had chaged oil just before total shutdown. I pulled the engine recently to paint firewall and change rear main, which I thought was leaking. intake was off couple years ago prior to new Edelbrock. Had it covered with a towel, but who knows. Could I be happy and think that maybe a little condensation got in when things were opened up? nah.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts