Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Although not having installed one as of yet (looking to get a 200-4r).

Alot depends on the engine mounts you have:
Front mounts you would use bell housing mounts.
Side mounts you would use a cross member.

Also a mechanical means for the computer control.

Beyond that, this site sells most of the parts including transmissions, as well as installation tips/directions.
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Tom, I have a 700R4 in my 55. I went with side mounts on the motor and a tranny crossmember. Drive shaft must be shortened 3 inches from stock. You will also need to wire the converter for the lockup/overdrive. I bought a kit from Painless for that. Easy installation. How is yours set up now? Front mounts? and bell housing mounts?

·
Registered
468 Posts
my 57 has the 700r--i have the side mounts with the cross member. The car has a lighted toggle switch used to engage the convertor. They do make a conversion kit to utilize the stock rear mounts to use a late model automatic. Still recommended use of cross member though

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'll disagree with you ken on that. If you have a pre-58 motor with front mounts you need to use the bell housing mounts or it can cause stress where the block and tranny meet due to not being properly ballanced. It's just too much of a stretch, as alot of weight would be hanging on that mating surface.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7000r

hi with the headers i,m running i have to use the front mounts, ,i talked to another guy who said to use the trannie mounts an a crossmember,as for the trannie i,ve been told to use a brake lite switch thats for a older crusie control ,it has 2 extra prongs on it,so you run the wires there for an easier power hook up,i,m having the trannie done now,the guy who,s doing it is very knowledgable on this building them for street rods ,as for a tourq converter he uses 1 from an blazer with a 1900-2200 stall . any other thoughts thanks tw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts