Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started working on the floor of my 57 a few weeks ago and noticed that the tunnel is wavy. Could this be from a collision? There is very minor damage on the splash pan up front; but nothing to indicate anything major.

I would hate to put a ton of time and money in this car only to find out that I can only get three wheels down at any given time :(

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Due to the location I find it hard to believe that was done by an accident, but it does look a little like a Shar Pei puppy. :)

Here's the piece That was cut out of my convertible. But it seems that I've seen a bit of wrinkling in that area before.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thought Geoff; but I have never seen one that looked like that - and I'd rather tackle it earlier than later if necessary.

Love the Shar Pei - just what I need nearing the end of a long day!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,676 Posts

·
Registered
37,219 Posts
The stamping/forming process requires stretching and in this case, shrinking. When you get imperfect shrinking, you see those wrinkles. They didn't try to do better, because when the car is assembled, you can't see it. My tunnel has ripples at the rear part of it, but a good bit smaller than yours. My passenger side inner fender has some even bigger wrinkles that they didn't worry about.

I will say this, yours is pretty extreme compared to mine. I'm guessing the blank slipped in the dies or there was a secondary hit they didn't do.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all quick feedback - it may make sense as this car rolled off the line on day six in Van Nuys - probably still had a lot wrinkles to be ironed out if you'll excuse the pun

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I started working on the floor of my 57 a few weeks ago and noticed that the tunnel is wavy. Could this be from a collision? There is very minor damage on the splash pan up front; but nothing to indicate anything major.

I would hate to put a ton of time and money in this car only to find out that I can only get three wheels down at any given time :(

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
'

If your firewall isn't mashed into the cabin I'd say it's a stamping issue. My '57 look's like that with less wavyness....:)

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,137 Posts
I have seen that and some worse, in other areas. That said. I have also worked with some of the new one piece floor stamping that have no wrinkles in them.......but if you put your knee down hard on them, it will leave a dent. I would rather have the factory wrinkles that add strength to the panel, then the smoooooth new stuff that is 100% softer.

Just saying.....

Mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts