Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help with trans yoke. put a 350 turbo auto in the stock yoke is two small the yoke i have from the 350 is to large on the u joint side. do i have to buy the one from ecklers or is there a part # or part to look for at a salvage yard.
any help or leads would be great.
thanks dean

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If I am reading your thread right, you need a compensaton u-joint??,,if that is what you are after. they make one that should fit your yoke and then the driveline side.

I believe this is it, but you need to measure the OD on your bearing cups and ID area on your yoke to be sure, then take your numbers to the auto parts store and have them match it up.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1310-1330-Chevy-to-Ford-U-Joints,6989.html

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yoke

so i could buy a u joint with two different cup size's to go from the large yoke to the smaller drive shaft size witch is a stock 57 one.
thanks

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The stock 57 u joint is a Spicer 1310.

·
Registered
747 Posts
so i could buy a u joint with two different cup size's to go from the large yoke to the smaller drive shaft size witch is a stock 57 one.
thanks

Yes, I just went through this fiasco last year. What you will want is a combination U joint. Maybe a 1310/1350? It will be 2 different sizes. My advise is to take the yoke and drive shaft to the parts store so you can show them what you need.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
you need a crossover joint my guess its a Chev[1310] to Olds[internal clip] style. A th350 is also different spline count than 57 manual or glide.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
It would be much more straightforward to get a 27 spline yoke that's made for a Spicer 1310 u-joint, instead of using one for the later model u-joint that you now have. That yoke can be identified by the snap ring grooves that are outboard of the u-joint cups.

The Muncie, Saginaw, Powerglide, and TH350s from the 60s all have this yoke. I don't know what year they switched, but I think it was well into the 70s.

Or, you can go with the "hybrid" u-joint and use the yoke you have, as already stated.

Here are some part numbers for the hybrid 1344-3R u-joint. I have verified the Precision one, and Summit sells it for $16.95.

Precision Part No. 372
Spicer 5-3022X
Neapco 3-3130
Rockford K3022

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u jont

thanks guys went to the parts store today got a crossover joint. will see how it works.
thanks dean

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I am still using my stock 56 crossover/hybrid/Frankenstein driveline, and I wince evertime I hit the throttle, waiting for it to cry out "NO MORE!!" lol.

Had a problem with one of the hybrid joints hitting the end of the driveline with the grease zerk bump that was cast into the joint, had to flip the joint around/over. if you ever get a out-of-the-shop sever vibration, take a look at these areas.:rolleyes:

Problem solved soon. Picked one of these off of craigslist for $30, NIB.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-U-1662/

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
Actually the grease zerk interference problem can happen with a stock replacement u-joint. As you say, cured by flipping it over.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
But at the same time, it causes a grease gun issue. Once flipped it is impossible to get the gun fitting on the zerk on mine, no matter where the driveline is positioned, so the needle grease tip has to come out. It's a vicious circle to get this stuff to work out correct sometimes. non-greasable 1350's on the next setup, I can service those myself if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts