Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought an external transmission cooler for my 57.
The transmission is 700R4 and the cooler I bought is a "TCI Transmission Cooler, Universal" part number: 13219 from Danchuk.

I will use 3/8 hard lines from the transmission to the radiator core support side filler panel, and from there I will use 2 small hoses to connect the cooler to the hard lines. I will use the cooler alone, since my water radiator is for a manual transmission car.

My question is what kind of metal hard lines should I use?
Would it be ok to use aluminum tubing like this from Summit?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2538/

Or do I need to use a harder metal like copper or steel?

I hope you can help me with this!
Thanks in advance, Jose Sierra

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Hi, I bought an external transmission cooler for my 57.
The transmission is 700R4 and the cooler I bought is a "TCI Transmission Cooler, Universal" part number: 13219 from Danchuk.

I will use 3/8 hard lines from the transmission to the radiator core support side filler panel, and from there I will use 2 small hoses to connect the cooler to the hard lines. I will use the cooler alone, since my water radiator is for a manual transmission car.

My question is what kind of metal hard lines should I use?
Would it be ok to use aluminum tubing like this from Summit?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2538/

Or do I need to use a harder metal like copper or steel?

I hope you can help me with this!
Thanks in advance, Jose Sierra
I dont see why not, why not hard line it direct to cool ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Randy,
I was thinking to add a piece of hose just to have a flexible link to absorb vibrations.
My idea is to use some nice fittings to make it look nice and clean.
Like the one in the link, but I am not sure if I can use this kind of fittings here. In the product description it reads "... is compatible with low-pressure fluid transfer applications"
What do you think? Would it be OK?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-2200075N/ b

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Cooler lines

When using aluminum lines make sure weight of cooler is supported to frame oryou could be looking for a breakdown at the most inopertune time. You don't need 3 gallons of tranny fluid under your tires.:bowtier:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You could always use braided hose from the transmission straight to the cooler using them AN fittings at both ends. This is better than having a join in the hard lines and makes it easy to run them from the trans to the cooler.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks to all of you who gave me your advise. My main concern was to know if aluminium tubing and fittings were good enough for the pressure. As I understand from you it is OK.
Of course it would be better with stainless but it costs 54 USD a 20 feet roll. Braided hose would be even more expensive like 75 for 20 feet.
I will use aluminium and fabricate some nice support brackets along the engine so that the lines sit stable. And then I will use about 1 foot or 2 of braided hose for the last part. With the cooler properly attached in front of the radiator. I think it will look nice and be safe.

Thanks a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts