Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, the 700 R4 trans. has to be removed from my '56. Slips alot. A junkyard trans. I got for free so it was a roll of the dice. Anyhow, the trans. rebuilder said I could save $300.00 if I took it out myself and brought it to him. With having the 2 post lift, it will make the job a bit easier for me. But, I need to buy a trans. jack. I've never bought one before and don't know what I should be looking for. I see them on line for $85.00 and up. I suspect that I'm not going to have alot of need for it after this job, so I don't want to spend a fortune. But, I also want it to work properly. I've been thinking about some friends who might have one that I could borrow, but negative at this time. There are a few rental stores in the area I could also look into. If you ever bought a trans. jack as a hobbyist, where did you get it from?? Would you recommend it to others?? Could you share the price?? Thank you very much, Carmine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Carmine if you have a 4 post life you really don't need a trans. Jack. if you have a roll around cart about 3-4ft high you can get everything loose from the trans except 2 lower bolts then roll the cart under the transmission.if you need to shim it up or down you can place 2x4's where you need them then lower the lift till the trans touches the cart. Remove the 2 remaining bolts and wiggle the trans back to clear shaft then slowly raise the car up there you have it. to install do the same in Reverse. Hope this Helps

·
Registered
887 Posts
Carmine if you have a 4 post life you really don't need a trans. Jack. if you have a roll around cart about 3-4ft high you can get everything loose from the trans except 2 lower bolts then roll the cart under the transmission.if you need to shim it up or down you can place 2x4's where you need them then lower the lift till the trans touches the cart. Remove the 2 remaining bolts and wiggle the trans back to clear shaft then slowly raise the car up there you have it. to install do the same in Reverse. Hope this Helps
You can do that IF you do not have FRONT motor mounts... If you do then you will need to also figure out a way to hold the engine up while you raise the car up and down

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I built my first one I used a long HF 8 ton ram and a trans adapt head for a HF floor jack. I also had some left over 3 inch channel and 2.5 and 2 inch square tube and 4 heavy casters. All the aforemention item were free or just laying around. I am sometimes a little on the cheap side.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
I have pulled many a transmission with nothing more than a good floor jack. I even did it a few times with a k-mart cheapo floor jack.

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
My experience is that they come out with just a floor jack pretty easily if you're careful. Where you need that transmission jack is going back in. That's with the car on jack stands or one of those ramp lifts.

I've done the above quite a few times. As I age, I don't think I want to do it that way quite as much as I once did.

If you have a 2 or 4 post lift then you need a different type of transmission jack. I think HF sells one, probably Northern Tool. I don't know how deficient those are. Of course there are better ones.

Think about the money. Even a HF jack is going to cost about 1/2 to 3/4 of what the transmission shop gets to R&R the trans. So you have to ask yourself if you're going to do this again.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Most of the horror stories that I've heard about improperly adjusted TV cables, and the added cost of buying a trans jack, I'd pay the $300 and get my car out of the shop ready to roll. That's not to say that I'm against the DIY project, but automatic transmissions like the 700R4 need a special touch. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hold the phone

Alright lots of good ideas here, all great stuff. However I too have 2 two post lifts in my garage, yet I was a bit short on cash some years ago, but needed a tranny jack....... What to do!!! Howz about buy a cheap transmission jack adapter from HF, weld a boss (1" pipe) atop my existing cherry picker. Then drill a thru hole and find a long enough metric bolt to secure the carriage to the top and I have a cheap tranny jack with what I already have on hand except the adapter. I got mine from HF but don't see them anymore but Northern has em for bout 50 bucks. Northern Model# TRE2001 . Been using it for 20 years. Look at the pics and Let me know what you think.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=144423&gclid=CI6Etdrd2rcCFUfhQgodAEoAvQ

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
this seem like the best idea^

i would get a cart around the same height as you truck bed then you can just roll it over and side it on the bed.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some great ideas, suggestions and experiences here. Thank you everyone. My only problem is that I have this new 2 post lift. I was standing under it looking at the trans. several times today. Everything appears so easy and simple to get to except I need a trans. jack. What a pleasure it would be to take an automatic trans. out standing up. Like many of you, I took a few out laying on the floor with the car on stands using a floor jack. Not necessarily a bad way but I like the lift idea much better. I'm going to give more thought to everything and I do appreciate the responses, Carmine.

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
Howz about buy a cheap transmission jack adapter from HF, weld a boss (1" pipe) atop my existing cherry picker.
Seems like a cherry picker, at least mine, is too tall for that. But great idea if it fits. Also seems like getting the angle right would be a bit of a problem. Again, if you find a way to make it work, the price is right. Also, adding a tilt might go a long ways.

Seems like this one would be something you could use with a lift, or at least modify to use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1100-lb-high-lift-transmission-jack-33615.html

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Most of the horror stories that I've heard about improperly adjusted TV cables, and the added cost of buying a trans jack, I'd pay the $300 and get my car out of the shop ready to roll. That's not to say that I'm against the DIY project, but automatic transmissions like the 700R4 need a special touch. Just sayin'.
Carmine this makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Unless you plan on doing more then the occasional trans swap I owuld spend the $300 even a HF or Northern or Tractor supply trans jack is going to cost most likely half the $300 then what once your done roll it into a corner and let it collect dust? Check and see if you have a tool rental place nearby that would be the more economical way to fly.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Check with Harbor freight for a low priced transmission jack. Here is one that will work under your hoist. They have it on sale for $159.99 right now. You should be able to use a 20% off coupon to further lower the price. The coupons are in most all of the car magazines. You could use it once and resell it or for what you will save in labor in the trans job just keep it. Here is a link.
Tom

http://www.harborfreight.com/1100-lb-high-lift-transmission-jack-33615.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.