Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 57 Belair with original 283 w/Front Motor Mounts, and a TH350 Transmission. Just installed side Transmission mounts (Danchuk's) that bolt to the original side, dog-ear, frame mounts and mount to the bell housing of the TH350.

The problem is trying to hookup the transmission shift linkage. Has anyone done this on your front motor mounted engine with a TH350 transmission?

Purchased the supposedly correct linkage from Danchuk's but, will not connect or work with this tranny mount.

Could use a picture if anyone has attempted this.

Thanks!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
48,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mel....How 'bout a part number for Danchuk's linkage?

With those mounting brackets you need shift linkage like this:https://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-turbo-hydra-matic-transmission-column-shift-linkage-kit-1955-1957-57-132244-1.html

That's what I used on mine anyway.

Wow Pops,
That's exactly what we were looking for! Thank you! Helping a friend work on a 57 and he bought #952 from Danchuk's that will absolutely not work once you put these side transmission mounts in.

But, this linkage that you are showing has a better chance to work with these brackets.

Thanks again, Pops!

·
48,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your responses.

Just wondering if using these side mounts on the transmission has kept your engine/trans from torquing? Noticed on this 57 with front engine mounts, rear TH350 cross member that the engine would torque or jump quite a bit.

Thanks again. Once again, this site is the greatest source for information!

·
48,724 Posts
I have front mounts, a rear transmission mount and the turbo bellhousing mounts....Mine isn't going anywhere....However, its just a little 265 V8.

On a side note and this has nothing to do with nothing...I once had a 66 Impala with a 327 that had a torque cable connected to the left side:https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/motor-mount-recall/

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other question regarding this project;
Just to make sure that we have the lower brackets (mounted on the frame) correctly, are your rubber bushings facing forward or towards the rear of the car?

Thanks again!

·
48,724 Posts
Mel...I'm not sure I understand your question....However, I have attached an article that covers the installation procedures for the bellhousing mounts.

I also included an older article that I had on the TH350 install

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,881 Posts
Thanks all for your responses.

Just wondering if using these side mounts on the transmission has kept your engine/trans from torquing? Noticed on this 57 with front engine mounts, rear TH350 cross member that the engine would torque or jump quite a bit.

Thanks again. Once again, this site is the greatest source for information!
This has been discussed here many times. You can't use just stock front mounts and a cross member mount without something to stabilize the engine/trans from flopping side to side, That is why the turbo mounts are needed when doing a trans update with no provisions on the block for a side mount conversion.

·
48,724 Posts
X2 what Bruce said...My other 55 with a 350 V8 and 200R was originally configured with just front motor mounts and a transmission tailshaft mount by the previous owner....I did not know that, when I first got the car...I experienced first hand how the throttle can stick with that tripod set-up and you get on it.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, no question you and Bruce are correct. This car had a dead battery and we helped restart it. Once it was running, we saw how it 'jumped'. This was after the owners had a TH350 installed to their 283. So, side motor mounts were ordered but, soon discovered that an original 283 from 1957 did not have access for side motor mounts. Which got us to this point.
Getting closer.
Trying to get this car ready for the Western Invasion in May.

·
48,724 Posts
:anim_25: Mel

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don’t have the trans frame side mounts, but if you have line of sight from the column shift arm to the the trans shift lever, this Lokar trans arm linkage is a good solution. Gives you a lot if adjustment flexibility. Easy installation, works great IMG_1401.png with a 700r4, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is some of the pics I took when I installed the TH350 in my old 57 with stock 283 the other year ago. I remember having to grind around the mount to the bell housing just to fit past the casting.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here's a couple from the starter side. I forgot what I did about the linkage, but I know it was a bit tricky at first. All Danchuk stuff I used too.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a couple from the starter side. I forgot what I did about the linkage, but I know it was a bit tricky at first. All Danchuk stuff I used too.

Thanks for the pics! My friend bought everything from Danchuk's. The trans mount and trans linkage. But, with this setup there's no way Danchuk's linkage will work without heavily modifying it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the pics! My friend bought everything from Danchuk's. The trans mount and trans linkage. But, with this setup there's no way Danchuk's linkage will work without heavily modifying it.
You made sure the arm on the linkage to transmission is pointing down? And it should barely clear the bottom of the mounts. I even removed the old bellcrank attachments from the old linkage on the frame.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts