Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!
So I have discovered that my trans mounts are shot and I need to replace them. Can I do it without removing the engine? From underneath the car it looks like I can place a jack under the trans to lift it while I R&R the mounts. Any experience advice with this is appreciated.

Also, it seems that the transmission is sitting lower than usual as a result and it seems to be preventing me from shifting into reverse. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,982 Posts
Yes you are just like 100's of other owners that have experienced this problem. You can do one side at a time. Most PG have 2 bolts on one side and one bolt and stud and nut on the other side. The stud is used to plug a hole that goes into the fluid. Thus a nut and lock washer are used on it. If you don't have a stud and nut, when you pull that bolt you will have fluid leaking, just be ready for it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
There is a modification to the stock Powerglide mounts that you should consider before their installation. This modification will prevent early failure of the mounts which are prone to separating from the rubber. Use 5/16 bolts and nylon lock nuts. Snug them up, but do not make them too tight. Mikey (55wagoncrazy) performed this modification to my mounts when they were replaced last year as part of an engine replacement.

Attachments

·
Administrator
67,972 Posts
Great tip to making your mounts last longer drill a couple of bolts into them :anim_25:

BTW yes you can replace without removing the engine. Just take note as the mounts are the same but orientated in a different position depending on if you have an I6 or V8 engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts