Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I could use some advice on selecting a proper transmission.
My car, 57 2dr ht, now has a th350 coupled to a 283 4bbl engine.
The rear axle I don't know. but i think its a 3.55. This drives pleasant, just cruising around town is ok, but the motorway is not pleasant.
So I'm thinking about a 4 speed od transmission with lockup.

Often the TH200-4r is mentioned as a good upgrade for the th350, also the th700-R4 is mentioned. The last one does need a shortened drive shaft. On this side auto transmissions are not very common, usually old worn th700-4r's with unknown mileage out of camper vans.

Whats important in an auto trans ?
Often I read claims that the th200-4r and th700-r4 both don't last long in stock form and need to be build.

Here is where my trouble start.
I really don't know what I would need.
My car is still pretty stock, the engine, brakes, suspension and I like it this way. So the trans would have to match these specs.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
This is my third summer with a 700R in my 56 and I just love it and wish I changed it before... Later, Dave

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have to do anything special to this th 700?
Like performance upgrades?

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
700R4 upgrade

I don't know how much parts to rebuild them are over there. Maybe might cheaper to buy a complete rebuilt trans fom a good aftermarket supplier like TCI, B&M or Bowtie Overdrives. They'd also come with a descent warrenty.Just be careful with tv cable adjustment.:D

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would indeed be a good idea.
Parts are available, usually directly imported from the US.
Most cars are stick shift around here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your gonna look for used 700R4's look for 87 and up there stonger the 2004R is the same length as a turbo 350 bouth are great just geared a little differant from one another.:)

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the ease of installation I'd lean towards the TH200-4R.
They also should have less power loss.
A th700-R4 would be easier to find over here, still finding a good rebuild one isn't.
So in the end I will have to buy one in the US.

Thanks for the good advice.

Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts