Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got brakes and new master cylinder done and started driving around. About two hours worth of driving my gears were slipping. I would put it in first and it would crunch into gear. then it would slip out. Not sure what i need to do next. is it the clutch or clutch plate going bad. Or is it the transmission. Winters coming gonna garage it soon and work it threw. Thanks

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
I got brakes and new master cylinder done and started driving around. About two hours worth of driving my gears were slipping. I would put it in first and it would crunch into gear. then it would slip out. Not sure what i need to do next. is it the clutch or clutch plate going bad. Or is it the transmission. Winters coming gonna garage it soon and work it threw. Thanks
Is it a 3 speed manual transmission? Sounds like the linkage might be worn or out of adjustment and it's not going all the way into gear. Does it do this in all gears? A clutch can cause it to grind going into gear, but shouldn't cause it to slip out of gear. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/7-6.gif

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think the original 3 speeds first gear is un-syncronized you have to be at a dead stop to put in to 1st gear. If its grinding when trying to shift into first and the car is at a dead stop then your clutch needs adjustment or repair.

Regards, Robert

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
I think the original 3 speeds first gear is un-syncronized you have to be at a dead stop to put in to 1st gear. If its grinding when trying to shift into first and the car is at a dead stop then your clutch needs adjustment or repair.

Regards, Robert
Roberts correct, you need to be at a dead stop before you go into first

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
no, so far in first it slips out. It grinds on first. Second and third goes right in
The clutch would cause it to grind in all gears and it shouldn't slip out of first gear even if moving when put in gear. Check the linkage for wear and adjustment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts