Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 Bel-Air with a 265 powerglide.I want to put in a 350 with either a Turbo 350 or 400.I don't have a problem with the engine, but i'm unsure about the trans.Will the driveshaft need to be changed? length, yoke, etc. Also what if I keep the 265? Is either the 350 or 400 easier? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

This swap has been done many times, in all different configurations. Someone will stop in who has done it themselves and let you in on any tricks you need to know.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hi and welcome.

If I were doing the swap and it was a choice between a 350 and a 400 behind a 350 ci. I'd go with a 350. I actually think it would be easier to find a 700r4 though. As far as the swap it be be a matter of shortening you drive line and the proper yoke and U-joint and cross member and pssibly modify your tranny lines to go with your new tranny. I think you'd be real happy with a 700r4.

My 2 cents worth:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I swapped a TH350 into a '65 Chevelle that originally had a Powerglide. The length is exactly the same, it used the same mounts and the driveshaft needed no modification. Just make sure you get the standard TH350 from a car, there are some truck trannys that are longer if I remember correctly.

I would also recommend making new tranny cooler lines, you can bend your own fairly inexpensive. I'm not sure if you could even reuse the old ones, I didn't even try since I set up a remote cooler when I did the swap and needed new lines anyways. You can go to Auto Zone, Advance, ect.. and get the unbent lines. I know Advances part number for a 6ft line with 5/16" fittings is BL560. They call it a Brake Line, but it's the same thing.

The "hardest" part was modifying the shift linkage. Basically all I did was go to the junkyard and find a car with a TH family transmission. I ended up using a Oldsmobile with a 200-4R, it's similar enough. I got all the lower brackets from under the car that act as the pivot to change the gears. The pretty much bolted on where the stock powerglide brackets did, the only change I needed to make was one rod that was about 8 inches long needed to be 6 inches, I just cut it and welded it back together.

And that was it, the speedometer cable just hooks right on and your done. Total cost not including the transmission is $5 each for the Brake Lines, and $6 for the junkyard shift linkage assy. Like I said I did it on a Chevelle, but I really don't think it would go much different on your car. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you're near central Florida, I have both a TH350 and a 700R4 i want to get rid of. Proceeds go to helping me visit my girlfriend in Houston this Thanksgiving!

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
The T350 will prabably fir without many changes. A 700R would be great bur will require a crossmember change since it is a little longer than the other.
Terry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Additional things to consider:

You will need an adapter to mount the starter when making this swap on a 265. Classic Chevy and I believe Danchuk offer these. If you are going to use column shifting then you will also need the shift indicator and a new nuetral safety switch -- the installation of the nuetral safety switch on the stock 1956 column requires a modification to the column.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts