Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The value of a 4 speed, Muncie, Borg Warner, or any other transmissions is directly related to its condition. For example, if you have two transmissions of the same kind and one has a history of a recent rebuild and the other does not. Upon examination, if the rebuilt box appears to look OK and shows of a recent rebuild, then you could determine it has more value than the other. And especially, if the other box looks worse. At this point, you can put two different prices on the transmissions.

The cost of a rebuilt transmission is related to the value of the labor and parts that have been installed. Here is an example of a rebuild that I did recently, which was very similar to many of my rebuilds. Guy brings me an M-20 Muncie. Upon inspection on the outside I notice the bearing retainer is worn out and the cluster pin is sticking out the front of the case and has been leaking oil.

Once I get the box apart, I discover it has a blown cluster on first gear, which means the first gear is broke as well. Also, it has both sliders and their hubs worn out, as well as both reverse gears bad, both speedometer gears bad. The bearings all had a gazillion miles on them and went into the garbage can, as well as all the small parts including the 4 brass blockers.

Now, on to the cases. The front case has the cluster pin hole stretched and will no longer hold the cluster pin tight. The tail housing looks okay except it needs 3 helicoils. So now the tally for the repair.

$150.00 Master rebuild kit, with forged brass blockers, new pin small part virtually
everything you need and all high quality parts (not an e-bay kit)
30.00 front bearing retainer
135.00 new M-20 cluster gear
50.00 good used first gear
40.00 main shaft speed O and plastic gear
6.00 french locks
140.00 two matched synchro's (two sliders and matched hubs hardened)
116.00 send the front case to be bushed, drain plug installed and freight
( $70.00 bush job, $10.00 drain plug and $18.00 freight ea. way)
6.00 new speed O bullet
18.00 wire and dog teeth kits (2)
15.00 shop supplies
N/C Glass bead case and tail and helicoi

* Labor on a full rebuild like this can run from $300 and up
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a customer comes in with his transmission and someone has driven the reverse cam's tapered roll pin in upside-down, this is a serious issue. The pin must be drilled out in order to get the box apart correctly and to be able to assemble it properly. After the pin is drilled out, the tail must be welded back to repair it and the hole drilled and then reamed with the proper tapered reamer for good fit. This is a time-consuming job and is priced by the hour. Years ago we replaced the tail, today this is cost-prohibitive

Anyway the total for this transmission job minus the labor was $716.00 and went out the door for $1000.00. This transmission will last for many years at half-the-cost of a new one.

Bottom line....Any used or rebuilt transmission is worth what someone will pay for it...If that is you, inspect everything carefully. Then, get documentation of the repairs and a warranty.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,412 Posts
Good info Gary :):tu

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the kind words.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts