Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I asked if anyone knew what would cause a knocking noise in my transmittion when I change out the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearring. Well the solution was that the distributor was laying against the firewall causing the rotor button to hit the lobes on the inside of the distributor, I shimmed the back of the engine mount on the bellhousing a 1/4 inch and the noise went away Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. 55210

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I had the same problem on a 70 nova, the issue was my left front motor nount would break often, and when I pushed the engine it would naturally raise up on the lft side as view from the drivers seat, and then the distributor would hit the firewall and cause the same problem.

So instead of spacing the bell housing bolts, , I never thought of that and would not do that weakens, the bolts.

1st make sure that the distributor does not hit the firewall when the engine is ideling, if so all you need to do is buy solid mothor mounts to solve the problem.

2nd, if that did not give enough room I would have the small arear behind the distributor beat back with a hammer and torch and the smooth it out with body filler.

Otis

1 - 2 of 2 Posts