Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I have a few questions concerning the 'Task Force' trucks:
What is the wheel size/bolt pattern (size) stock?
Is there a way to determine an approximate build date by VIN like there is with the cars? (my inner statistician wants to know)
Are front axles hard to come by?
How wide is the overall footprint on stock axles?

I just got a 56 3100 with a 4WD drive train from a 76 under it, and I'd like to put it back to stock as it sits too high for my liking - it barely fits in the 7' garage door. Also, the front tires stick out past the fenders. Will the wheels on it now fit on a stock axle? I see a lot of the ones on ebay have a different front clip on them, so I figured the original axels might be available.

I was hoping it would be a driver, but it looks like it's another project!

Thanks, Craig

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Will the wheels on it now fit on a stock axle?
You say it has a 4x4 drivetrain under it now, which should be a 6 bolt wheel correct? The stock wheels were 6 hole also so they should work.
Terry

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Is just the suspension from the 76 under it? Or the entire frame? The 76 2WD track width is at least 2" wider than the stock truck, I'm thinking the 4WD is even a little wider. Converting it back will be a chore, but could be done. I wouldn't waste time or $ putting a stock setup back in it, especially if you want a driver. If by chance they put the 76 frame under it, this would make it easier. Any 2WD susp. from 73-87 will bolt in and they are plentiful. I set my 57 truck on an 85 chassis.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just the suspension is from the 76. I found the 56 VIN on the frame, MUCH easier to find than the car was!!
The truck has that setup with NO power steering, and an S-10 column which makes it extremely hard to turn. I figure the original suspension was set up for manual steering and would work better.

Terry, thanks for the word on the wheels!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.