Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a lot of research and searching before asking this but if the subject is covered somewhere here or anywhere on the web, please advise.

Many of you on this list have put a 8.8 Explorer rear end in your Tri-Five. For those of you who took the time to document your experiences, I have likely read your thread and studied at your pictures (and thanks for putting your stuff up for people like me to read! :happy0065: ) I also have been to the S10 forum. Good info there, too.

What I am interested in knowing is: Have any of you taken your 8.8 equipped tri-five to the drag strip on weekends, run in the 13's or 14's (or quicker) and have an 8.8 alive to talk about it? If so, is your 8.8 modded so the pinion is centered, axle tubes welded to the center section or can a stock off center pinion 8.8 survive repeated runs in the 13 -14 second bracket? Can a stock off center pinion 8.8 survive energetic (aka abusive) treatment on the steet if fed by a 400ish hp chev engine? It would seem so just based on the number of 8.8's in very quick Mustangs. But I really want to hear from Tri-five drivers.

Since I am not going to pop for a 10 bolt 8.5, 12 bolt, or 9 inch (unless you have one for sale for $500 that includes a rebuilt 3.73 posi , 59+/- inches wms to wms, disk brakes, new bearings, 31 spline axles), please don't suggest any of them. They aren't an option..at least for time being.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments from experienced 8.8 users.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I took my 3:73 traction loc 8.8 equipped 55 to the strip before. I recall running low 14’s with it. I welded the tubes to the center section. I never bothered to center the pinion. It has held up well. You have probably read my write-up at Chevy talk or maybe even here at Tri-5’s. I installed it back in 07 I believe and it has held up very well.

The weak link in my car is the T-5 tranny or so I’ve been told. I don’t beat the car up but do on occasion exercise the carburetor return spring when I’m feeling a bit bored. Both tranny rear-end, and everything else has held up nicely.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The 8.8 is a very good rear end. I have modified many mustangs that have run much quicker than 13s with no problems. The weight of the cars would be close. If you are worried about the flex in the housing, a back brace can be welded on without much trouble and bigger axles can be readily purchased with stronger gears also. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I know a few guys running 8.8's in various cars and street rods that on occasion, maybe 2-3 times a year, will run their cars at the dragstrip with no problem. I think the 8.8 might be strong enough for the occasional trip down the strip but not if you were going to really thrash the car or you run a monster engine...my opinion only from what I've read and heard about the 8.8...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
you guys are aware that an 8.8 is slightly larger than a chevy 12 bolt right...8.75. of course i'm running a 9 inch on my 55. are the 8.8's. that much weaker than a 12 bolt posi unit. i guess it comes down to the posi unit that is being used not the ring and pinion or the axles. what's bullet proof and what's not. i've got a worm gear posi unit, and i'm told that it won't hold up to my bbc. well, when it doesn't i will just install a detroit locker and be done with it. the clutch type worked just fine. i'm yet to run it on the strip. we will see. i believe the 8.8's are plenty strong for just about anything you can throw at them. 400 hp stick and a stock 8.2 lasted on the street for me. i guess it all comes down to what you are willing to pay and what you believe is suffice for the action you are going to throw at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts