1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Tell you a little story of me.

I started working when i was 15 and always workt 12 - 15 hours a day,
its like that when your not that good in school.

I started driving a truck when i was 20 and from that i succeed to build up my own trucking company.

We are now 40 people employd.

But 3 years ago when i was 47 year my body told me that it wasent right.

i got stomach trouble i lost 55 pounds in 6 months from 198 to 143.

and also got a deep depression that took all fun out of everything.

If that wasent enough i got ache in all my muscle so i have to eat medicine
every day.

But enough with the bad things.

I took some time to think what i wanted with my life.

And found out that my dream was to restore an old car from scraths.

I start looking around on diffrent webpages and went to carshows to find my dreamcar.
Then i found an ad on a 1955 Chevy Bel Air in Colorado, it lookt really nice on all pictures and the price was right.

I planded to ship it to Sweden from Los Angeles, but the more i thougt about it the more i got a idea.

Why not go ower to California and take the car and drive around for a couple of weeks.
But that was easier sad than done, its not easy for an foreigner to get an insurance,
i think i phoned over a 100 phonecalls to insurance compay and brookers, at last i found one in Huntington Beach CA that was willing to insurance my car.

So me and my son who is 20 year took a plane over and had the best 2 weeks of our lives.

And now when the car is home in Sweden and i can start to restore it.

I feel that i got the spirit back and its like christmas when a parcel arrives
from USA and you can mount it on your car.

So what im trying to say is that my 55 have made me to see forward again,
and get my thoughts too see everything a little brighter.

So for me Tri Five works better than medicine.

:)

Owe

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Now that is a great story, I agree with you, when ever I work on my 57 it just makes me feel good, I call it dream building.

Otis:)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Super story! I got my trifive less than a year before we had some very bad health news -- my wife has cancer! I was encouraged by my friends to work on the 57 as 'therapy' and it sure works! I need a break every once in a while from taking care of the family, and I can be in the garage, right outside the kitchen door, but will be a million miles away for a short time while I do something constructive on the car! It's great medicine, I agree!

Also, my son and I took a 4,000 mile road trip with a trailer to pickup the 57, so we had that wonderful bonding experience that we still talk about!

Congrats on the turnaround! Thanks for sharing your story, I'm sure it's an inspiration for others as well as me.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Great story. I was fortunate 3 years ago to be vacationing near a cardiac trauma hospital when my heart stopped. I was 44 years old. My father was not so lucky in 1961 at the age of 33. Shopping the internet for parts and spending time polishing nuts and bolts was a huge part of my therapy and recovery. I need prescription medication to keep the body strong. I need the '55 to keep the mind strong. Diet, exercise and a steady dose of classic Chevy!

Tom

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
"Diet, exercise and a steady dose of classic Chevy!"

Great words to live by, literally! :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Boy can I relate to trifive therapy. This year my job status changed due to Corporate reconstruction and I lost my Dad in May. By working or driving my 57 takes my mind else were and has made it a little easier. I know everything happens for a reason. I am no longer in Management and after I got over the initial shock, I have learn to live with it. My wife said that I am easier to live with. It is still hard to think about my Dad being gone and I know it takes time to heal. With that said I have started repairing my floor board's,Boy is that going to be some healing power!!!!!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine years ago...it's never easy! Trifive therapy to the rescue!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Awesome story Owe!!! Great stories everyone. I've been around the block a bit. Lived in Va. for 5 1/2 years with my first wife. She told me to come back here and get a job and a place forus to live. Two weeks after I got here I recieved my separation papers. Signed over the house we had down there and paid my child support every week. Met my second wife shortly after I arrived up here. She went to Texas with another feller for a couple of years. I bought this house and sent her a letter to come home. She did and we are still hanging in there almost 23 years now. I'm on my second life as I had to have a by-pass in 1987. Been doing great since then, just watch diet and take my meds. Still work as a mechanic for the town of Franklin ,Mass. We can fix most anything. I've done my own body work, welding, heavy truck repairs, cars, lawn mowers and such for over 35 years now. Got burned out working on everyone elses cars and went bass fishin' for about 15 years and just got the bug to do a trifive last year. Now I have a major project working.
Dave

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
Wow, wow that is some story owe and the rest of you guys. Inspiring to say the least. gotta go out to the shop and work on the 57 now, na i`ll stay at the computer. It is nearly as much therapy being here in tri-five. Terry

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wow!!!!!! Heart wrenching story's from all. I guess we all have a little something in common besides our passion for these classic cars! It's great to be here at TriFive. Happy Holiday's to all of you!!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Great story! I think of our cars as cheap therapy. Okay, expensive therapy! ;)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
" Some guys have shrinks, I have a garage"
My garage shrank!!:rolleyes:

I still have one, but the car has to come out for any serious work. Too much home junk round and over the car (On a steel frame)

Seriously guys, what great fighters you all are! Very inspirational! Glad to part of such a prestigeous group!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The answer for your life.......

Hello Owe,

Sometimes the right decision can be the right answer for all your "inside" problems, i know what you mean if you say you have to change your life and if you catch your dream. I also have a sick child, my son.......and it changed my life also in december 2004 but the life goes on and each time if i go inside the garage i ask me why.........but sometimes we have to go the way of darkness and sometimes we can see the brightness of our soul.

All the best for you and your family and be proud to find "your" answer....

Stefan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts