Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any pictures or stories of installing a smooth firewall and setting the engine back? I'm building a prostreet 55 with a big block and I'm trying to figure out the challenges ahead. Ex.(motor mounts, headers, trans mount, steering linkage or anything else. Thanks in advance....

·
12,256 Posts
How much setback do you want to have? Most guys actually move their engines FORWARD around 1.25-1.5" to clear the firewall. Mine is 1.5" forward. I built my own engine mounts, tranny mount, and most everything else to install my RJ502 and T-56. ;)

If you move it forward too far you will have radiator clearance issues, and too far back will result in problems with A/C, aftermarket wipers, gas pedal, etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much setback do you want to have? Most guys actually move their engines FORWARD around 1.25-1.5" to clear the firewall. Mine is 1.5" forward. I built my own engine mounts, tranny mount, and most everything else to install my RJ502 and T-56. ;)

If you move it forward too far you will have radiator clearance issues, and too far back will result in problems with A/C, aftermarket wipers, gas pedal, etc.
The car will be drag raced a little so I don't think moving it forward will be good for me, although I suppose it is possible. I also like the look of a smooth recessed firewall. Do you have any pics of your install?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts