Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am attempting to surprise my wife with a car similar to the one she was given on her first day of college by her parents. (1970 Dodge Dart 4dr).
I found one but it's in Chestertown, MD. Here's the website I found it on: Used 1970 Dodge Dart for Sale in Chestertown MD 21620 Geno's Automotive Service. I live in Florida and was hoping to get assistance with this.
If anyone is near there and wouldn't mind going to the dealership and checking the car out for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I have not contacted the dealer as yet, I wanted to make sure the car is as good as it looks. I just want to make sure it is sound and the engine, tranny, brakes,suspension, etc are safe to let her drive.
PM me if there are any questions.

Steve

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,792 Posts
Cuzz.....Haven't heard from you for years....Glad to hear you and your wife are still doing well :)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are doing very well, thanks. How are you and Sheri doing???
BTW I go up to Jacksonville a lot lately (I retired from the city in Oct). I'm doing work at a private school helping to create a network for them. It's on Bartram Rd.
Still going to Old Town!! Amanda loves to line-dance!!!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,792 Posts
I still have a hubcap with your name, NASH, on it somewhere Steve.

Similar to the one below, but not as shiny....Will have to get together if possible, when you are around.

I was going to help you out finding someone....We used to have a pretty good location search function at the site here....But not so anymore.

·
Registered
Denver, Colo
531 Posts
If you can't find a member that is in the area willing to do this, then I am not sure if you are aware that for a price there are companies that will do a complete vehicle inspection and send you a report.
This is just one of probably more in that area.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hopefully someone close by can help you out. I believe Chestertown is out on the eastern shore of MD. I can see why you are interested, that car is clean.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pops- That's something worth having. My family would love to see it. I plan on being in Jax next weekend to continue installing camera's and PC's. Should be there from Fri-Mon.
Greg- Thank you for that info, I never thought to do that!!! Thanks for the site too.
Curt- Thank you for your response. From the pictures it looks clean doesn't it???? I'm afraid though of the under carriage and brakes (that's just a few places I got taken on from a web-sale before). I'm hoping that it will pass. I'd really love for my wife to have it!! BUT- I want to do my due diligence.

Again, thanks all of you for your help...this is why I love this site. I know I don't come on here very often, but when I do I come away with more knowledge than I had!!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Cuzz, A couple of months ago I purchased a "new" daily driver 2004 SAAB wagon from a used car dealer in extreme southern DE, 2 hours from me. I called the dealer and talked with him about the car and its condition. Having owned SAABs I knew of the few places to look for rust. I asked him to take some additional photos of specific areas which he did and they looked excellent. I did put a down payment for him to hold the car. I went down a few week later and completed the purchase. I knew from research what a good price for this would be (you can use Hagerty valuation tool) and right off he told me what he needed for him to make a profit. It was less that what I was willing to pay! I took it.
Bottom line do some research on pricing, and get a relation going with him and ask for some specific under body photos. He's not making any money with the Dart sitting in his lot.
By the way, I inherited my grandfathers 69 Dart, which is why I stored my 55/.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice Bill. I will definitely take it under advisement. Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I have tried to get reports from the CarFax and Hagerty websites but I've input the VIN from the dealer website and it says I'm 4 characters short. I sent an email to the dealer asking if it was still for sale......they answered and said it was and to give them a call to talk about it. I'm getting leery here because of the VIN issue. I also have the website up that Greg posted to have someone look at it for me. Question: Should I get them to go look at it before I call them? Or should I call first and tell them a representative will be there to inspect the car for me? And, I know this sounds lame, what questions should I ask when I'm on the phone with them? (I would never make a good negotiator because I get nervous and frustrated when in those type situations).

Thanks for any advice!
Steve

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
With respect to the VIN, I looked up the VIN for my 69 Dart, it had 10 characters, thus it would not come up on CARFAX nor Hagerty either. I would not call that a deal killer,i.e.no Carfax report.
I was looking at the window sticker and it mentioned that this Dart was vandalized and sustained some body damage in 2017. It was repaired and repainted to the current green.

I'd call and let them know a representative is coming.
Questions to ask:
  1. Send a copy of the explanation on the window. My eye got tired reading it.
  2. Have they driven it lately,
  3. When was it last inspected/registered,
  4. Did they get the car from an auction, or trade in. The description gave some information on its history
  5. What can you do for me and still make a profit.
I googled the site and they have 4.3/5 stars with 12 reviews, one bad review. The building looked so much better than the lot I got my SAAB from, with a 2 bay garage for an office. Mechanically our SAAB is excellent.
Hagerty showed
#! Concourse @ $14,500
#2 Excellent $11,100
There is a trophy in the back seat so it has won an award, seems like it is priced right mid way between the two values.
The values have held steady for the past 2 years.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill, thank you so much for all that info. I’m glad it wasn’t just me on the carfax site LOL. I saw the pic with the stickers but couldn’t read them at all so I’m gonna take your advice and ask them for it. Also, thanks for the questions to ask, never would have thought of some of them.
I’ll keep everyone posted on what’s going on.

steve

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
In the words of Lt. Columbo, "just one more thing..."
You may want to ask if there is any warrantee, and how long. Usually there is something like a 90 day one. Since it appears the car will need to be shipped to you in FL, you may ask how much they'll reduce the price if it is purchased "as is, where is.".

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More good advice.....he emailed me back and said it's still for sale and to call him and talk. I'll call him tomorrow when other ears aren't around to eave's drop!!!!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I called the dealership and talked with the owner. Apparently the car has been in his family since it was new (his Great-Aunt bought it brand new). It was sold off and on to other people (from the area) but always made it back to him. He said the car hardly ever left the Kent County area, that accounts for the low mileage. He did relate the story regarding the damage.....two minor boys (12 &14) were out and about late at night and came on the lot looking into the cars. Apparently the keys were left in the car so the boys decided to take it for a drive. Well when the backed out of the spot, they backed into the car parked behind it damaging the rear bumper, drove away and then ran into a pole damaging the front bumper. and denting the hood. He related that the car had such sentimental value that he had the car completely redone. From taking the engine out and tidying that up, redoing the brake system, having the car completely repainted and doing a lot of mechanical work. He also said there were a few other inquiries into it but never sold it. He even told me, he might just take it off the market. He also said that the price was firm and he wouldn't go below it. With that part being related and the wife coming in unexpectedly (this was gonna be a birthday surprise) and hearing the conversation emphatically stated she did not want the car ( I think she was delirious). I have long ago learned that "Happy Wife, Happy Life" so I guess all of this was for nothing. I really appreciate all the advice i received here, it will come in handy when I talk the wife into getting a classic for herself.

Thanks for everything everyone, sorry it didn't come to fruition!!
Steve

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t even wanna think about what would’ve happened!! Lol. I sure will, and I hope it will be sooner than later!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts