Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the option sheet there is listed red reflectors as one of the options you could have for your car -----Does anyone know what these are and what do they look like ? have a picture ? -----Thanks

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
Can't say for sure.....Never had them on any of my early day TriFives.....However, I do remember finding some old red glass reflectors, when cleaning out my dad's cellar.....Seems like they were about an inch in diameter and rounded, like the jewel for the emergency brake.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Red reflex reflector?

I had a look at my old 1957 parts manual and came up with this......

I couldn't find anything on the part number listed for 1956 (5940066), but the one listed for "All" was part number 985223 and I came up with this.

The 1956 dealers accessory price list shows the 985233 reflector in the truck/commercial section. I don't have any 1957 accessory info, so this is just a sort of best guess thing, meaning I don't really know if this is what you got if you ordered the accessory reflectors in 1957.

But I can say....... I don't care how rare they are, I wouldn't put a set on my car!!!! It screams "old geeser driving"! :)

Ernie

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just Like to know the history of these sort of things ,,i dont think i would put this on my car either ,,i would like to find a original "kool kushion" option from 55 ,i know they still make them today and i dont think they have changed much at all ,i think these details are very interesting and part of the history of the cars ----:cool:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just Like to know the history of these sort of things ,.......... snipped........,i think these details are very interesting and part of the history of the cars ----:cool:
I agree with you there. I've recently decided not to do my car up stock, but I still have a strong interest in the details and history of these cars.

Ernie

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
I agree

I just Like to know the history of these sort of things ,,i dont think i would put this on my car either ,,i would like to find a original "kool kushion" option from 55 ,i know they still make them today and i dont think they have changed much at all ,i think these details are very interesting and part of the history of the cars ----:cool:
I wouldn't run them but your post made me curious. bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I had an unrestored 57 2 door hardtop that had them on the bumper ends. The paperwork reflected the original owner had requested them. To be honest they were nothing out of the ordinary and very unimpressive. They were drilled in by the dealership and were more of an eye sore. As part of the deal when I purcased the car I traded for a set of NOS ones he had collected.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had an unrestored 57 2 door hardtop that had them on the bumper ends. The paperwork reflected the original owner had requested them. To be honest they were nothing out of the ordinary and very unimpressive. They were drilled in by the dealership and were more of an eye sore. As part of the deal when I purcased the car I traded for a set of NOS ones he had collected.
Can you post any pictures ?? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
...... I don't care how rare they are, I wouldn't put a set on my car!!!! It screams "old geeser driving"! :)

Ernie[/QUOTE]

HEY!!~

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
But I can say....... I don't care how rare they are, I wouldn't put a set on my car!!!! It screams "old geeser driving"! :)Ernie
ERNIE....Some of resemble that remark :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
ERNIE....Some of resemble that remark :D
Well David and Oldfart, I'm getting pretty "Geezerly" myself, but I don't want my car to advertise the fact.

Of course at the rate my project is nearing completion I may be wanting reflectors AND curb feelers by the time I'm done.

Ernie

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I had a look at my old 1957 parts manual and came up with this......

I couldn't find anything on the part number listed for 1956 (5940066), but the one listed for "All" was part number 985223 and I came up with this.

The 1956 dealers accessory price list shows the 985233 reflector in the truck/commercial section. I don't have any 1957 accessory info, so this is just a sort of best guess thing, meaning I don't really know if this is what you got if you ordered the accessory reflectors in 1957.

But I can say....... I don't care how rare they are, I wouldn't put a set on my car!!!! It screams "old geeser driving"! :)

Ernie
Are you sure these weren't for trucks with no back bumpers?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Are you sure these weren't for trucks with no back bumpers?
I would bet they were used on trucks more than any of the cars, but the parts book does say ALL. The "A.R." just before the price stands for "as required",which to me indicates there wasn't a standard for installing them. From what Myold57 tells us, it looks like at least one owner had them installed on a car.

Ernie

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Well David and Oldfart, I'm getting pretty "Geezerly" myself, but I don't want my car to advertise the fact.

Of course at the rate my project is nearing completion I may be wanting reflectors AND curb feelers by the time I'm done.

Ernie
:)....Just wondering ?....How old is a geezer...or is it a frame of mind ?.....:confused0006:.......:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts