Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
Really cool stuff. Most all of those kind of tracks are long gone around here. Only two drag strips left here too, and one of those is closing soon.

The remaining drag strip is at Sonoma Raceway, and since that site holds all sorts of racing including big NHRA and NASCAR events it should hang on for a while...I hope.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
I would have loved to have grown up in the era that had all these local tracks around. The dirt tracks were all gone around here by the time I reached adulthood but I've heard stories about them all my life. They say the fights they had at some of the tracks around here were epic.

Again, all I know about these old dirt cars and tracks I got from stories my uncle, dad, and a few older friends mentioned but one thing they told me was they made their own racing seats out of 55 gallon drums. I had trouble buying that but they swore it was true. My area has always been full of farmers and the money is a little low compared to bigger areas. Well some years later I was able to get a look at someones old 55 dirt car that was drug out of the woods and it did indeed have a drivers seat with a homemade vinyl cover and some foam that was indeed a 55 gallon drum before it got cut up.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
My friends 57...

well known around the Midwest.....
Al Mears and Dick Hampy. RIP, guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
My 55...

Doing it's "thing", at the Greater Peoria drag strip.
I ran with Mears and many other gasser guys.. Late 50's, mid 60's.
We were terrors on the streets of Peoria, and surrounding towns!:sign0020:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Earnhardt Jr has chosen 20 cars to be displayed @ the NASCAR Hall of Fame
the exhibit opens this year.

Buck Bakers Cup title car known as The Black Widow is one of the 20.

87-3 car.jpg (58.8 KB) 87-3 car.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
Speaking of the Earnhardts, Ralph E drove a 55 for a little bit it seems.

This is an interesting pic.

This is one of RE's early cars that I've always liked to see in pics.

·
Registered
65,760 Posts
i'm enjoying all these cool pics! kkkkkkkkk

21 - 40 of 56 Posts