Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving my car much more now that everything seems to be ironed out. Mufflers sound great but there is still a lot of road noise in the car and not sure why. I put dynamat on the roof and floor, firewall, inside the front doors, and doubled up on the rear wheel well. Then, I bought a carpet from ACC with the extra thick padding. The carpet must have weighed 50 lbs.

I realize this car won't drive as silent as a new car but what else can be done?

Jeff

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quiet Ride

I don't know about getting one quieter. My 55 Sport Coupe make a good bit of noise. Planning on replacing all the weatherstripping as soon as can afford. A lot of mine is wind noise. Hey, it just comes with the package !! It is definitely worth the noise to get the joy out of people walking up to inspect and admire the car. I love it.

Brad:wavey:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Jeff,

Did you use Dynamat in the trunk? I like the look of a stock trunk but will definitely Dynamat the trunk floor of my '56.

How about having a good sound barrier between the back of the seat and the trunk?
You definitely want some isolation there, too.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Geoff,

The trunk is still unfinished. I didn't think to Dynamat the floor of the trunk but certainly can. I thought about an additional sound barrier between the back seat and trunk but thought it might not do much since the seat is rather thick?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
jem man i put plywood across the back of my seat then dyno matted it [actually used rain sheild]and it made quite a difference next im going to double up on the fire wall and rainshield all the doors i will do everything i can think of to quiet this baby up,also get rid of the flowmasters 40 series love the idle can,t stand the drone oh yea i also did the entire trunk floor

·
Administrator
49,953 Posts
I thought about an additional sound barrier between the back seat and trunk but thought it might not do much since the seat is rather thick?
Jeff there should be a cardboard barrier between the back seat and the trunk. You can use a sound deadener on that to help too as said. It installs from the trunk side onto a couple of clips made into the supports.
Terry

·
Registered
186 Posts
One other thing is how many rpms are you turning. My car was a lot louder before I switched to the 700r. Doing the trunk helps a lot.
Rob

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Hey Geoff,

The trunk is still unfinished. I didn't think to Dynamat the floor of the trunk but certainly can. I thought about an additional sound barrier between the back seat and trunk but thought it might not do much since the seat is rather thick?

Jeff
Good morning Jeff. You might have someone drive while you sit in various locations to better determine the actual source of the road noise. Also, any area in the cabin that is not sealed/insulated with sound deadener will attribute to the overall noise heard. As has been mentioned, the trunk is a great source for noise. Also, doors, door bottoms, rear quarter glass area, package tray, wheel tubs, A pillar/kick panel, B Pillar etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 55 Wagon is road noisey, I hope to solve a little of that with a Dynamat type product.

My big annoyance is wind noise, but like of the members above said, I guess I'll have to live with that.

The coolness factor of the wagon definitely outweighs the noise factor.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Jeff,

Did you use Dynamat in the trunk? I like the look of a stock trunk but will definitely Dynamat the trunk floor of my '56.

How about having a good sound barrier between the back of the seat and the trunk?
You definitely want some isolation there, too.
Hi
I also used sound deadening in the trunk and has made my 56 much quieter

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Alot of new cars have rubber seals to close up the door gaps to cut down on wind noise.

Alot of the noise is coming thru the glass because of the poor aerodynamics.

Newer cars even have ribbed antennas to cut down noise.

I have thought about sparying urethane foam into the pillars just like late model cars use.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
One other thing is how many rpms are you turning. My car was a lot louder before I switched to the 700r. Doing the trunk helps a lot.
Rob
Ditto! The difference was amazing when I wnet to a 700R.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Sorry if this was already mentioned but are your shocks still fastened to the truck floor? There is a huge amount of noise transmitted to the cab from there.
I used a product similar to Lizzard Skin under the floor and on top then used a Dynomat product everwhere I could. My trunk is sealed from the interior with sheet metal and also covered with the mat product on both sides. Firewall is also covered on the inside. Have to say it's quiet. In fact I seem to notice that everytime I'm on the road for any length of time.
It sounds like you have covered the important areas with the mat:confused0006:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all. Sounds like I need to focus on the trunk which I'll try to do over the winter. I didn't know there was a cardboard separator between the trunk and rear seat so I'll get one of those and dynamat both sides. I'll also put some on the trunk floor and carpet eventually.

Bruce, I do have the shocks mounted to the trunk floor and didn't think of that. I actually bought a shock bar from CPP and couldn't get it to work when I was building the car. Maybe I'll check into another vendor and see if there is one that can be put on a finished car. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

·
Administrator
49,953 Posts
Jeff build your own shock bar. I built mine out of thisck walled 1 1/2" square tubing with 2" angle iron welded on each end. Then i cut some 2" angle to make the mounts from. I got the plans from a tech article in the CCI tech books.
Terry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts