Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Springfield swap meet this guy from Texas had several wiper motors. He had a nice rebuilt one for a 55, $275 + $50 core. He then proceeds to tell me "You can't just swap a vacuum for electric, the switch and the arms are different" and gets kinda hateful. I told him the were the same on a 55, and walked off.

I had another vendor, get kind of huffy when I didn't believe just how wonderful his reproduction bumpers were.

Bumper Boyz out of California, didn't have a 3 piece front bumper and got kind of hateful when I tried to get them to split the difference in price with me and I would buy the 1 piece.

I ended up buying bumpers from Superior Chrome Plating, they were cheaper, come with a lifetime warranty, good service, and have been in buisness since 1952.

·
Registered
37,042 Posts
There's no way you should pay $275 for a stock electric wiper motor. At least if you have a modified car. You can get a Rain Gear setup for only a few $ more, and it's a much better setup IMO.

The guy is wrong about the switch, the electric motor uses the same cable and knob that the vacuum wiper motor uses. The electric wipers did use a different wiper blade, but you only need this if you want it correct original for electric wipers.

Lots of bad stories about Bumper Boyz out there. And a few about Superior. Superior may or may not fill the bill.

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
I ended up buying bumpers from Superior Chrome Plating, they were cheaper, come with a lifetime warranty, good service, and have been in buisness since 1952.
Good luck if you ever need any help or service from Superior. That since 1952 is name only i believe. Sorry, i had a bad experience with them a year and a half ago.
Terry

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I converted my 56 from vacume to electric over 35 years ago about a 15 minute job. The brown wire goes to the 12v side of resistor, same cable operates both styles. Did a friend of mine 57 about 2 years ago same results. The only difference was price they are no longer 5-10 dollars.

I bought a rear bumper for my 55 from superior at Pate and a year later when I opened it up I had 2 left guards, cost me to ship it to them but they took care of it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There's no way you should pay $275 for a stock electric wiper motor. At least if you have a modified car. You can get a Rain Gear setup for only a few $ more, and it's a much better setup IMO.

The guy is wrong about the switch, the electric motor uses the same cable and knob that the vacuum wiper motor uses. The electric wipers did use a different wiper blade, but you only need this if you want it correct original for electric wipers.

Lots of bad stories about Bumper Boyz out there. And a few about Superior. Superior may or may not fill the bill.
:) Greg, I agree with Rick L. If your interested, I have a wiper motor for sale in the classified section for $150.00? Take a look and let me know.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
At the Springfield swap meet this guy from Texas had several wiper motors. He had a nice rebuilt one for a 55, $275 + $50 core. He then proceeds to tell me "You can't just swap a vacuum for electric, the switch and the arms are different" and gets kinda hateful. I told him the were the same on a 55, and walked off.
WOW!!! :eek:

Guess I better go out and take those I've switched over off, then re-install the vacumm motors since this doesn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts