Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I copied this from a 2010 post that Don wrote. It coinsides with the problem I am experiencing with my Vintage Air System

Originally Posted by acardon
A bianary switch is normally closed and opens when there is too much or too little pressure in the system to shut the compressor off to prevent damage. A trinary switch contains a bianary switch AND a normally open switch that can be used to turn electric radiator fans on when the pressure determines that more air flow is needed through the condensor. When used, it will keep the fans from running when there is sufficient air flow through the condensor. Of course, the engine temperature will override the trinary switch if it's running hot.

Don, you sort of answered the question that I was going to enter on this thread. I cannot get my fan to turn on either with the air conditioner cycling or when I shut the air conditioner off and just let the car idle in the garage and the temperature starts to rise above 220.

All the parts are new. I installed it back in February 2013. It worked when I initially installed it but just today, I started the car after it was sitting since February. The Vintage air and heat work fine but the fan does not operate.

Where should I check for 12vdc to see if I am getting power to the trinary switch and/or any idea what could be the problem?

I have a water sensor in the block, a trinary switch and Flex A Lite Low Boy puller fan. Would I be better off just to wire it "key on" and let the fan run always.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Here is the diagram you need:

12+VDC power for the fan does not go to the trinary switch. The trinary switch fan circuit connects a ground to the fan relay as does the temperature sensor switch in your block. When either of these switches complete the ground circuit to the fan relay, the relay will fire and connect terminals 30 and 87 completing the 12+VDC circuit to the fan.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Correct, the trinary switch is not the problem. On a cool day the trinary switch may never close when the A/C is on. As Roger said, the engine temperature switch should turn the fan on when the temp gets above it's setting. Check the fuse that supplies power to the relay.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I copied this from a 2010 post that Don wrote. It coinsides with the problem I am experiencing with my Vintage Air System

Originally Posted by acardon
A bianary switch is normally closed and opens when there is too much or too little pressure in the system to shut the compressor off to prevent damage. A trinary switch contains a bianary switch AND a normally open switch that can be used to turn electric radiator fans on when the pressure determines that more air flow is needed through the condensor. When used, it will keep the fans from running when there is sufficient air flow through the condensor. Of course, the engine temperature will override the trinary switch if it's running hot.

Don, you sort of answered the question that I was going to enter on this thread. I cannot get my fan to turn on either with the air conditioner cycling or when I shut the air conditioner off and just let the car idle in the garage and the temperature starts to rise above 220.

All the parts are new. I installed it back in February 2013. It worked when I initially installed it but just today, I started the car after it was sitting since February. The Vintage air and heat work fine but the fan does not operate.

Where should I check for 12vdc to see if I am getting power to the trinary switch and/or any idea what could be the problem?

I have a water sensor in the block, a trinary switch and Flex A Lite Low Boy puller fan. Would I be better off just to wire it "key on" and let the fan run always.
Found the problem. Power wire from the fuse was broken off from the relay pigtail. Whahooo!!!
Thanks gentlemen for your responses!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts