Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I don't have any pics of it but I will this weekend if the problem insists. I'm having a bear of a time getting the tail pan to sit flush. It seams to be hitting everywere and it also seems to be about a 1/2 inch to long. I don't remember were I got it but it was either CARS or Danchuk. The last 4 inches of the trunk pan were pretty much trash so I am going to fab it up. So the trunk pan isn't hitting its more the braceing below the tail light area. That and the indentions for the lead fill seem to be way to deep. I really didn't have alot of time to work on this but has anyone else run into problems with replacing this piece?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have installed several of those on passenger cars and wagons. They have all fit very nicely. If yours seems 1/2" too wide I would worry a bit about other damage. If the trunk has nice gaps all around and to the new tailpan, then I agree to trim it and weld it in. Otherwise you will need to find out what is out of wack.

Hotroddder

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I agree with Hotrodder. If it's off by 1/2" and not flush, your mating parts are the problem, because this piece and related ones fit well, particularly when compared to other replacement/patch panels.

It doesn't sound like it's in your current plan, but I think the best way to get this deal right is to start with the "last 10" panel". It fits well, and the tail pan attaches above it and the tail pan brace attaches below it. If the side walls of the trunk and related areas are not rusted too badly, these 3 pieces are somewhat self-jigging.

The challenge comes when the tail pan brace and its attachment to the quarters is so rusty that the whole rear of the car has sagged relative to the frame, and you've lost at least part of the reference points you need and maybe all of them. But even then it can be repaired, it just takes more care and more pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts