Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Otis,

Here is the true Story of my car, perhaps you remember, you could need it for the next newsletter. Please check all the words and perhaps the grammar, because you know iam from germany and its only my "school english".....if you need some pictures please let me know.

Thank you and take care
Stefan

THE STORY
_________

The true Story of...Once upon a time in America
In August 2001 i found our "Chevy 56" at Ebay.com, the seller said, this is a great runner and barn fresh..a few minutes before end of auction I became nervous more and more "0" bids for this Chevy, anyway, today I think all is happened because it must happen and now it's a great feeling if I think about all the things are happen and all the adventures I could have. US $ 1500, at the end of auction and I told my wife: just now I think we are the winning bidder of the auction and we are now proudly owner of a Chevy 56. It was not easy to plan the shipping to germany. We made a contract with a US Shipping Company to bring the "Baby" to germany, of course I made a lot of phones to US but at the end I could hear "No Problem"...US $ 1500 + 80 $ insurance was the total for the shipping, slowly my nervous feeling came back. Our Chevy was picked up in Pennsylvania at 08.23.2001. Without problems the baby reached New York, better the port of New Jersey, these port is about 1 mile away from Liberty Island and just across Manhatten / New York. Another phone call to US and the shipping company told us the day of shipping, the guy said the shipping date will be the 09.11.2001..I think anyone knows what happens at these day. Until today the title has the mark of the US Customs, as you can see, it was the 09.10.2001. In other words these Chevrolet was a quiet onlooker (testifier) of the terrible tragedy. At the afternoon of 09.11.2001 we had a phone call from a secretary of the shipping company, she said with sad words that the the port was closed and also accept some delay and iam so sorry...I will never forget the time the words and also the pictures. I called the home company of the shipping line in Norway and the guy said that the next shipping turn will be in about 2 or 3 weeks, but only if the port are open, also he told me that the ship was only a few miles away from the port at the time the port was closed. The captain of the ship got the order to turn the ship direct and straight to europe. 2 weeks later we got the new date of shipping, 09.27.2001. My dream was to see the ship in the port to see if the ship leave America and my dream will come true. At the top of the Empire State Building was a live webcam and of course I tried to see, but, no ship, next try and this time I was the winner. It was a great feeling to see all the details, live in the same moment. Again and again I made some pictures...the ship turned inside the port and I could see the moment, the moment of "Time to say goodbye"...bye bye America. 48 hours later we got a letter from Fedex with all the documents of shipping. At 10.04.2001 we got the information of the german side of the shipping company "Date of arrival 10.11.2001" in Bremerhaven.
After some phone calls to the german customs we drove to Bremerhave, the port in germany.
The first aid package for the Chevy was 1 gallon oil, battery, tools, flashlight and a gallon water. We reached Bremerhaven in about 3,5 hours. At first we made some handlings because of the paper sheet of the customs duty and we paid a bail of US $ 500. A guy explained us the way to the port, it was raining and raining..After 10 minutes we reached the office of the shipping company, a secretary wanted to see all the documents and now the feeling came back, a long time I had to wait to see the "Baby", how is the condition, would the engine run, a hard time. After 10 minutes the guy came back and asked "where is the trailer for the car", there was no trailer...i want drive the chevy home, the guy said, no way to drive these car home, he opened the border line and after 5 minutes we reached the position W102 of the parking area. First time I could see the car but it was a sad view. All the time it was raining. I tried to start the engine but no way, the battery was down, 2 wheels destroyed, 1 wheel witout air pressure and the last one not ok but in good condition. Whats now? At first we drove away to change the first 2 wheels in Bremerhave, the guy from the wheel company calculated the german wheel measuremnt to a US rim, no problem, back to the port and with the help of the "first aid battery" I could start the engine. We leaved the port area, but only with idle speed because of a "closed" carburetor. Again back to the wheel store to change the other 2 wheels and also to clean the carburetor. Now the baby sounds good. At that moment I knew that we had now the point of no return..."Welcome on the highway". All the time my wife was with her own car behind me. At 5:00 p.m. we leaved Bremerhaven. 60 miles per hour on the highway and a lot of hope inside me. The Chevy drove like new, the engine like a clockwork ...but only to a town called Osnabrück about 1 hour away from home. We stopped at a gas station to fill the tank and I remarked a small oil line behind the car, no problem, I filled 1 gallon oil inside the engine, started the baby and back on the road. After some miles I thought, was that the right decision? We stopped again I looked behind the car and now a could smell the oil and also I could see a bigger line behind the car, I opened the hood and I could see that oil was running out in the lower area of the engine. It runs out like water, ok..here was the end of the "adventure".
We called a help service, after 1 hour the guy reached us and he picked up the Chevy. We were a little bit sad at that moment, but today I know it was the right decision. At 11:30 p.m. we came home, the guy from the help service with his pick up, my wife and me with her van and a Chevrolet 56, here is the end of the story. What a pity, only a few miles away from home.....at this time nobody could know that a defect oil press switch was the reason of the disaster, there was a little hole inside the switch, but.......we were safe at home.

Stefan

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Did you actually pay $1,500 for the car plus another $1,500 to ship it?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Stephan: How're ya doing? Great story, read it on your web page the other night. (by the way your English is better than mine as I've been ruined by eastern NC redneckian taught in our schools here)
Still haven't gotten chance to check on info for you, my friend is a little under the weather right now but I'll try to get it ASAP.
Ketch ya later!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
56 in Germany

Hi Stephan

Its a great story, and i was at your webpage and lookt at your restoration of the car, you did a really fine job and now i hope you will enjoy it this summer.

Hi from Sweden
:)

Owe
WOW.. Can you please post Stephan,s webb site for me.or a link. I have to see where the car is at now.Thanks Roger

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is a great story Stepan. I took a look at your web site. You have done a great job on your "baby". These classics are true labors of love. Congratulations on all your hard work, it is paying off in a beautiful auto.

Steven

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Very interesting story Stefan, excellent reading.

I clicked on your website and took a double take on those pics of your 56. Dad's 56 is the same color as that, as well as the condition of the front seat.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Great story Stefan!
I drove my '55 from San Antonio, Texas, where I purchased it, to Roseville, California without one problem. It's a boreing story I know. I had the time of my life! Good luck on your build!!

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts