Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 57 2 dr htp, and the trunk gaps indicate that the tailfins are leaning about .100 towards the drivers side. I will be replacing the full trunk floor as well as the tailpan and it's brace. Any suggestions about how to best handle this?

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
When you say "leaning" do you mean the gap between the vertical part of the trunk lid to the trunk opening tapers? Or is offset with a big gap on one side and small gap on the other? Both sides? I'm assuming that you've fit the lid so that the gaps are good on the horizontal part at the rear windshield and along the horizontal part of the opening on the sides, but it would be good for you to confirm. A photo would help too.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gaps are even and consistent on the top (horizontal) part of the trunk lid, but on the vertical portion. it tapers/ On the left side it gets wider at the bottom and on the right side, it narrows down at the bottom. I'm not good with computers, so I can't get pics. I hope my descriptions are clear enough.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
Mine were ok except at the transition between horizontal and vertical on the trunk lid and trunk opening. The trunk opening was just fine over most of the horizontal portion as well as the vertical portion near the tail pan. This is a typical problem on these cars, the bodies were simply not that consistent. (The lids were more consistent.)

What I did was a slice/pie cut. Where it was tight, I removed material and welded it back. Where it was wide, I either built up the opening with All Metal (if not too much) or sliced it open and added a strip of sheet metal.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
I'm not good with computers, so I can't get pics. I hope my descriptions are clear enough.
Bill...Sent you a PM...I will be glad to post pics for you or coach you through it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
Bill...Not sure if this will help or not...However, I attached the 55-57 Body Adjustments Guide...It addresses the rear compartment lid adjustments...Hope you find it useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pops this is what I was looking for also for body mount adjustments and door alignment. It will compliment the Danchuk article I have also. Danchuk 567 volume eleven, issue two

·
Administrator
63,445 Posts
Make sure you have a 57 trunk lid to start off with, check for the boot rubber pin holes, if you have and the body has proper mounts then what Rick suggested may be your only option, seen this also done on door gaps.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you have a 57 trunk lid to start off with, check for the boot rubber pin holes, if you have and the body has proper mounts then what Rick suggested may be your only option, seen this also done on door gaps.
I definitely have a 57 lid, with holes for seals and marker plate mounting. I am hoping that when I remove the old tailpan and support that I can "twist" the tailfins a little to bring it into compliance, We'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts