Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions. The trunk lid is high at the front edge, about 3/16, to a 1/4 inch, I suspect some time back the lid was closed on something, at the corners, it's a tad low, so hinde adjustments I don't think will do anything, how is the best way to bend it back, it is in very good condition, I hate to screw it up. Second, the area on the rear quarters between the tail light openings, and the trunk opening has a recessed area, someone filled it with 1/4 inch of bondo to bring it level, I hate redoing that with all that body filler, and getting behing it to hammer it out is impossible, any ideas, it most likely got bumped in the tail once, looks like some lead work was also done, so it must have been a long time ago, thanks Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
What do you consider the front edge? The bottom of the lid or up by the back glass, If you are talking about the inboard edge next to the back window you can try a shim/washer between the hinge and the lid on the two outboard hinge bolts. This will bring the bottom of the trunk lid up and set the inboard edge down.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
55Belair said:
I have a couple questions. The trunk lid is high at the front edge, about 3/16, to a 1/4 inch, I suspect some time back the lid was closed on something, at the corners, it's a tad low, so hinde adjustments I don't think will do anything, how is the best way to bend it back, it is in very good condition, I hate to screw it up. Second, the area on the rear quarters between the tail light openings, and the trunk opening has a recessed area, someone filled it with 1/4 inch of bondo to bring it level, I hate redoing that with all that body filler, and getting behing it to hammer it out is impossible, any ideas, it most likely got bumped in the tail once, looks like some lead work was also done, so it must have been a long time ago, thanks Ron
An 1/8th inch shim between the hinge and the lid on the bolt nearest the rear will drop the lid where you need it. The area your talking about having filler in it, it has to since thats a factory seam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The area on the trunk lid is the part up next to the rear window. It has a crown in the center along the edge, I question if shiming the springs will do anything, it doesn't follow the body lines there, that is why to me it appears to have to be flattened down somehow. The lead seams between the tail light and the trunk opening are not my issue, I know where they are, what I have is a pronounced depression from the trunk opening edge in toward the tail light about 2 inches wide, and 1/4 inch deep at the center, and a foot or so tall, this can't be factory. If I could get behind it it may be able to be hammered out, but you can't get in there, Stud Puller may work ?, I just don't like 1/4 inch of Bondo anywhere on the car, thanks Ron

·
4,460 Posts
Ron, it appears I may not have understood the problem. Your saying the lid meets at the corners near the back glass and not in the center near the back glass? As if it was closed on something?

I'm not clear on where the depression is. On the vertical surface between the lid opening and the tail light area? It has a slight depression, but not a 1/4 inch. I'm not sure a stud welder would pull the metal on a 55. It might be you will have to mig a few tabs on the deepest part and pull it up by those.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, with the lid down, the front corners are just a little low, the front center is high about 3/16 inch. I was thinking of reshaping it a little somehow, the depression I suspect on the rear was from bad body work some time back. I know the right quarter has been replaced, and I suspect it was hit in the rear once, but not hard, they just bondo fixed it, but the sheet metal under the bondo is smooth, very strang, but 51 years things happen, I may just leave it, and fill it with lead, not body filler, thanks Ron

·
4,460 Posts
On the lid I would make a template of the leading edge. Something like a piece of cardboard against the front edge and mark the arch onto the cardboard. Then set the lid on a couple stable blocks in the hinge location. Then take something like a piece of 1/2 inch plywood a couple feet long and maybe a foot wide. Lay the plywood on the lid near the edge and apply pressure. Push a little and check it with the pattern you made. Keep going a little at a time until you lower the center the amount needed to make the fit. Feel of the surface of the lid between pushes to be sure you aren't making a dent. I don't think it will dent. The skin sits right against the brace work inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts